DSM01 Curtis Filter

Discussion about Dave Smith Instruments, upcoming and potentially-upcoming instruments.

DSM01 Curtis Filter

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Here's the new module we've been expecting. Dave is obviously proud of his signature sound, the Curtis Filter. I wonder if there will one day be a complete DSI modular system. It would seem so, since the announcement describes the filter as, "their first offering for modular synthesizers." August 2014, $179.

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/pro ... /index.php
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/new ... .php#dsm01
Sacred Synthesis

Re: DSM01 Curtis Filter

Postby Paul Dither » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Wow, you're quick!

Dunno, if it's only me, but the marketing language sort of hides what version of the Curtis filter this actually is by saying "The Curtis filter is an integral part of the sound of many synthesizers created by Dave Smith, including the classic Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 and Pro-One, and more recent instruments such as the Evolver, Mopho, Prophet '08, and Prophet 12." Obviously, not all of these instruments share the same Curtis filter. Would be nice to find out, whether this is the most recent version as used in the Pro 2, or the one that has been used between 2002 and 2013 (including the slight modification for the Prophet-12).

Edit: Nevermind, I guess it'll be the latter as the name 'Curtis' doesn't even appear in the Pro 2 specs, of course.
Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/prophet-08-patches
Paul Dither

Postby Razmo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Its' almost logical that it would be the new chip he used, as that's probably the only one still in production... if he chose an older chip, it would not be available for very long because of very limited sources left for these, if any at all... TheDoepfer Dark Energy version 1 was ceased because of this.

But there is one great thing about DSI going modular like this... as long as they have not included any DSP technology yet, Pym should be free from working on updates :lol: ... but it'll probably not be long ontil we see a Curtis oscillator module, and most likely also a spinoff of his new digital one as well...
Razmo

Postby Strange Quark Star » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:33 pm

I thought the Pro 2 had no Curtis filter at all and was instead based on the first Prophets' SSM design. Has there been any official statement regarding the type of filter that was recreated for the Pro 2?
I wonder if this module contains one of the CEM chips used in the Prophet '08 or 12 or a discrete recreation like in the Pro 2. After all there were so many people complaining about that specific part of the P '08...
Prophet '08 Serial № 01369, potentiometer retrofit
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7 | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Kawai K-5 ATX
--
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/StrangeQuarkStar
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/strange-quark-star
Strange Quark Star

Postby Paul Dither » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Razmo wrote:Its' almost logical that it would be the new chip he used, as that's probably the only one still in production... if he chose an older chip, it would not be available for very long because of very limited sources left for these, if any at all... TheDoepfer Dark Energy version 1 was ceased because of this.

But there is one great thing about DSI going modular like this... as long as they have not included any DSP technology yet, Pym should be free from working on updates :lol: ... but it'll probably not be long ontil we see a Curtis oscillator module, and most likely also a spinoff of his new digital one as well...

What version are you referring to when you say "the new chip"?
Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

Paul Dither

Postby Razmo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Strange Quark Star wrote:I thought the Pro 2 had no Curtis filter at all and was instead based on the first Prophets' SSM design. Has there been any official statement regarding the type of filter that was recreated for the Pro 2?
I wonder if this module contains one of the CEM chips used in the Prophet '08 or 12 or a discrete recreation like in the Pro 2. After all there were so many people complaining about that specific part of the P '08...

The filters in the Pro 2 is a descrete component emulation of the SSM filter, and Tom Oberheims SEM multimode filter... there are no Curtis filter in the Pro 2, only all other DSI products.

So the Modular Curtis filter would probably complement the Pro 2 as it's different, but it'll probably just make it sound like a P12 voice to a certain degree as the P12 use the Curtis filters.
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Poptones wrote:
Razmo wrote:Its' almost logical that it would be the new chip he used, as that's probably the only one still in production... if he chose an older chip, it would not be available for very long because of very limited sources left for these, if any at all... TheDoepfer Dark Energy version 1 was ceased because of this.

What version are you referring to when you say "the new chip"?

I actualy don't know if Dave has more than one type... I'd rather say that I'm saying that it's definitely not New Old Stock CEM chips that he's using... The chips he's been using since the Evolvers are new surface mount versions, that he had Curtis help him set in production, and I believe these are still produced for Dave alone.. probably some contract or something... and it's one of these he is probably using in that new module I guess... but if there are more different types available I do not know... I don't even know if the new surface mount versions are just the old types in a new package....
Razmo

Postby Paul Dither » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Razmo wrote:I actualy don't know if Dave has more than one type... I'd rather say that I'm saying that it's definitely not New Old Stock CEM chips that he's using... The chips he's been using since the Evolvers are new surface mount versions, that he had Curtis help him set in production, and I believe these are still produced for Dave alone.. probably some contract or something... and it's one of these he is probably using in that new module I guess... but if there are more different types available I do not know... I don't even know if the new surface mount versions are just the old types in a new package....

That's what I was referring to. There's a difference between the Curtis filters Sequential Circuits used, and those that Dave used ever since he developed the Evolver. I seem to remember though that Pym once mentioned that the Curtis filter was slightly modified for the Prophet-12.

Paul Dither

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Whoops. Chysn is on the ball. I overlooked that there already was a "Dave Smith Modular/Eurorack" sub forum down below. We probably should move this discussion down there. Sorry; my fault.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Not to worry! That is exactly what this section of the forum is for: talking about new and/or possible DSI products - and all the side stepping resulting from that!
dslsynth

Postby News From The Sky » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:21 am

Poptones wrote:That's what I was referring to. There's a difference between the Curtis filters Sequential Circuits used, and those that Dave used ever since he developed the Evolver. I seem to remember though that Pym once mentioned that the Curtis filter was slightly modified for the Prophet-12.

The P12 LPF opens up an octave higher than the P08. There may also be some other minor tweaks, but that's the main difference.

I'm really hoping they release a P12+ or P12EX at some point with the SSM and SEM discrete filters from the P02...
News From The Sky

Return to DSI News and Wild Speculation