Dave Smith Modular

Discussion about Dave Smith Instruments, upcoming and potentially-upcoming instruments.

Dave Smith Modular

Postby chysn » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:29 pm

The new Pro2 demo shows a Eurorack module called the DSM01, which appears to be a Curtis filter and a VCA.

Was Dave Smith's recently-stated distaste for modular some sort of feint, and he's going into modular? Or is it just experimental internal development? If it's the latter, they sure made it look nice.

Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 7.34.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 7.34.40 PM.png (210.32 KiB) Viewed 13189 times
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Re: Dave Smith Modular

Postby Razmo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:49 am

DSM01 the text says... that short for Dave Smith Modular I guess... that's one sign that more will come I guess... also "01"... it's numbered... another sign. ;)
Razmo

Postby chysn » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Yes, also it says "Dave Smith Modular" at the bottom. They haven't registered the davesmithmodular.com domain, which I would expect them to do if they're starting a new division, so it'll probably just be a smallish product line.
chysn
Site Admin

Postby snowcrash » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:46 am

Although it looks like an actual product my guess would be that it's a prototype. And why not throw it into the video and see if there's some resonance coming up from the community. ;)

Though I'm not overly enthusiastic about a curtis filter in a module. As it certainly has its use as a very clean, precise tool for -especially- polyphonic sounds, it just lacks a bit of that 'special character', at least to my taste. Also there's already the Doepfer A-122 btw. and now with DSI bringing two new filters to the Pro 2 is what got me excited in the first place... So thanks, I'd pass on this one.
Poly Evolver Keyboard, Desktop Evolver, Minimoog Voyager OS, Micromoog, Roland SH101, KORG MS20 Mini, Arturia Minibrute/Microbrute, Elektron A4, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg ESX/EMX, Roland RS-09, Hohner String Melody II, Yamaha AN1x and a couple more. If you have questions about those synths feel free to ask me in a new thread.
snowcrash

Postby dslsynth » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:52 am

I'll rather see Moog and Tom Oberheim make eurorack modules with their VCO designs for integration with Pro2 and kilo dollar modular setups. Add a nice compact case for the module and its mixer to make it easy portable and easy to use with Pro2 and other CV capable synthesizer. Not to mention that SEM and Voyager users could benefit from adding more analog oscillators.
dslsynth

Postby Pym » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:02 am

Thanks Chysn for reminding me to register that domain name, it's done now
Pym

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:58 am

You DSI guys love mystery, don't you? Oh, but I've got you figured out. Whatever Dave says in a video talk or interview - just the opposite actually happens. If he sounds as if he'll never produce a monophonic synthesizers, you produce one. If he laughs at the idea of offering modular synthesizers, you offer a module. I've got your game now.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby chysn » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:26 am

Now that you've figured out their reverse psychology, they'll start using reverse reverse psychology.
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Bald Eagle » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:41 am

Just had to goggle reverse reverse psychology. Could there be a triple reverse?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... psychology
Bald Eagle

Postby chysn » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:51 am

And yeah, it is easier to get more excited about Dave Smith Modular in general than about a modular Curtis Filter specifically. DSI could bring some really interesting things to the Eurorack world if they apply their hybrid philosophy there. Imagine a CV-controlled VS-style oscillator, or a digital sequencer with multiple CV outs. If they do modular stuff to any extent, it'll have a significant digital component.
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:58 am

chysn wrote:Now that you've figured out their reverse psychology, they'll start using reverse reverse psychology.

Which would bring us back to normal.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Sacred Synthesis wrote:Which would bring us back to normal.

At least for logic systems for which not(not(a)) = a which is not always the case in natural languages.
dslsynth

Postby dslsynth » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:51 pm

Pym wrote:Thanks Chysn for reminding me to register that domain name, it's done now

And you were faster than the domain sharks, good! . o O ( :twisted: )
dslsynth

Postby Razmo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:20 pm

So what can we expect to see I wonder... a Curtis Analog Oscillator? ... a Dave Smith digital P12 Oscillator? ... maybe the new discrete filters as well? ... I wonder if this will be a big product range, or just a small select modules with specific relation to Dave's inventions.
Razmo

Postby chysn » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:40 pm

Razmo wrote:I wonder if this will be a big product range, or just a small select modules with specific relation to Dave's inventions.

Well, they registered the davesmithmodular.com domain name, so by my previous questionable logic, they're all in. :D
chysn
Site Admin

Postby dslsynth » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:46 pm

Let's all celebrate with booze and Heinz! . o O ( :o :mrgreen: :twisted: )
dslsynth

Postby Razmo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:56 pm

dslsynth wrote:Let's all celebrate with booze and Heinz! . o O ( :o :mrgreen: :twisted: )

You're seriously not mixing those two are you? :shock:
Razmo

Postby dslsynth » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Booze for people and Heinz for cable spaghetti! . o O ( Heinz party )
dslsynth

Postby Mefistophelees » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:12 am

snowcrash wrote:Though I'm not overly enthusiastic about a curtis filter in a module. As it certainly has its use as a very clean, precise tool for -especially- polyphonic sounds, it just lacks a bit of that 'special character', at least to my taste. Also there's already the Doepfer A-122 btw. and now with DSI bringing two new filters to the Pro 2 is what got me excited in the first place... So thanks, I'd pass on this one.

In a subtractive synth the filter is king, it's the dominant part of the sound.

It's a bit different in Modular where there are all manner of different filters available and you might have several in one system. This filter adds another flavour. Over at Muff's some weren't so keen but others were quite enthusiastic.

Modulars can be very different from subtractive synths, many use a Buchla inspired design and don't include a traditional filter at all.
OTOH some people have lots of filters - like me - I just ordered No. 20 tonight!
Mefistophelees

Return to DSI News and Wild Speculation