The Prophet from Silicon Valley

Discussion about Dave Smith Instruments, upcoming and potentially-upcoming instruments.

The Prophet from Silicon Valley

Postby Paul Dither » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/prophet-08-patches
Paul Dither

Re: The Prophet from Silicon Valley

Postby Benzebub » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:36 pm

Had not seen that one. Thanks for the tip!
Benzebub

Postby Paul Dither » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:26 pm

You're welcome, Benzebub. I just found out about it today and ordered it immediately.
Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

Paul Dither

Postby chysn » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:59 am

You know, I've been going through the sample pages on Amazon, and this looks like a wonderful book. It's not just about Sequential Circuits, but about the whole late-70s-through-late-80s in electronic music tech, from the introduction of the DX7 to how Sequential got caught up in sound chips for the video game industry. For me, buying this book is basically a no-brainer, since it covers so much ground.
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Paul Dither » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:05 am

Yeah, I got it yesterday and read the first chapter last night. It's well written and as a nice bonus all of the images are colored, which isn't even the case with Mark Vail's "The Synthesizer". It's also nice that Abernethy conducted several interviews with former users of Sequential products. One also gets to know a couple of people that helped out Dave in the background.

Paul Dither

Postby namnibor » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks for the tip!
I actually bought that new "revised Edition" of Jim Aiken's book, "Power Tools For Synthesizer Programming: The Ultimate Reference for Sound Design", that was highly recommended by Automatic Gainstay when he was doing the Pro 2 demos and review and Do NOT waste your money on such a worthless book. It really had nothing whatsoever to do with "Sound Design nor Programming", it was more of a half-assed, very scattered, non-flowing book attempting to do more of a "History" of synthesizers and even completely fails at that...the largest waste of $22.28, and would have rather have had given that money to a homeless Veteran than that particular book. Just a heads-up on that one.

I am interested in this Prophet book but am approaching it with a bit of trepidation after this recent bad book.
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby Paul Dither » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Hmmm, don't know the Aiken book. Maybe Marc had beginners in mind when he recommended it, dunno. A really great one is Mark Vail's "The Synthesizer", but you probably know about that one already.

As far as the Prophet book goes: It's definitely not half-assed. It's a good mix of detailed facts and anecdotes (that's what the interview parts are for). One also learns a lot about the development of these instruments in general. For example, why Dave chose SSM chips and what was so special about them, etc. It's also interesting to learn about the stuff Dave did before he came out with the Prophet-5, i.e. the sequencers he developed. Everything is always contextualized, so you get the bigger picture too. (What happened at Moog and Oberheim at the same time? What did Japanese companies do? Etc.)

Paul Dither

Postby dslsynth » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:37 pm

All I can say is thanks a lot for the reference. I am not in the market for new books right now but this one sounds tasty! :-)

@namnibor: Sorry to hear of your bad sound design book experience. Guess its just plain hard to learn people to navigate these hyper dimensional noise spaces!
dslsynth

Return to DSI News and Wild Speculation