Shipping late July?

Information and discussion about the DSI Pro 2.

Shipping late July?

Postby Solsonic Bass » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:54 am

This will be my first substantial pre release purchase.

Is Dave pretty good on releasing within a few weeks of announced launch?

Any unformed 1st wave quantities? How many does he ship on launch?

2nd wave?

Just curious about where I can expect to be in line and if I get a number?

Going to source this through my local sales guy and get this done by weeks end.
Mopho x4, Pro 2
Juno 106, TR-808, R8
AN1X, CS6X, SY35, RX11, AN200, DX200
Ensoniq Fizmo, BS2, Acidlab Miami
Aira: S1, TR8, VT3, TB3

"Machine is the beat"
Solsonic Bass

Re: Shipping late July?

Postby Razmo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:35 am

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think that DSI is pretty much on spot with release dates.... just be happy it's not a synth from Waldorf you have preordered! :lol:
Razmo

Postby chysn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:16 pm

The Dave Smith Instruments Facebook page announces that "Pro 2 is shipping this week."
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Martin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi all,

they sent out some in german store today.

bye²
Martin

Postby Razmo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:56 pm

First batches will be torn away... no doubt... that's mainly why I chose to get my Tempest first, because I knew I would not stand a chance at getting one at it's release... first they send out to all who has pre-ordered anyways...
Razmo

Postby Martin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:21 am

Hi,

there was a queue of 11 poeple but now its in stock. Dont know if thats what you want but 2nd hand Tempests are a few houndred cheaper if you not already got one.

Happy synthing,

Martin
Martin

Postby namnibor » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:50 am

For the last full week, there's been 3 or 4 different listings for Pro 2 on ebay with no one biting yet. (none of which are pre-orders...in-stock) I think a great number of people wish to know more about the Pro 2 and there's not much out there other than a few sound designer's YT posts and Carson's various Summer NAMM videos, all of which leave me with more questions that preclude me from pulling trigger.
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby Razmo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:05 am

namnibor wrote:For the last full week, there's been 3 or 4 different listings for Pro 2 on ebay with no one biting yet. (none of which are pre-orders...in-stock) I think a great number of people wish to know more about the Pro 2 and there's not much out there other than a few sound designer's YT posts and Carson's various Summer NAMM videos, all of which leave me with more questions that preclude me from pulling trigger.

I'm glad I waited as well... I'd like to see a bit more time pass on this new machine before I dare invest in one... I lately realized, that the relatively new P12 allready have 4 different revision curcuit boards... rev. A,B,C and D, and DSI seems to be swapping them "no questions asked" almost, when people talk about "11Khz peaks", so I'm beginning to doubt DSI's initial quality check of their products before launch to be honest.

If I'm getting one, it's not going to be until sometime in summer 2015 earliest... then I'll have the time to follow the forum's and bugthreads etc. I've never been the type that just absolutely MUST have the newest gear in town before it's even released, so I can wait.
Razmo

Postby namnibor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:39 am

It's just made me dig deeper in the Mono Evolver Keyboard...what a masterpiece! :P
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:07 am

You're so right about that. And isn't it nice to be content with what you already have?
Sacred Synthesis

Postby Fuseball » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:17 am

I've come nowhere near exploring all the depths of the MEK either and the Pro2's existence makes me want to do that more. Similarly, my dissatisfaction with the P12 made me program the P08 with fresh eyes and ears.

I'm definitely realising the benefits of being content with the things I already have (and trimming those down to only the instruments I love). The only new synth I'm actively pursuing is the Ambika, and that's as much because I want the challenge and satisfaction of making it myself.
Fuseball

Postby Razmo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:09 am

Yeah... many quickly forget their older machines when something new is on the block... it's pure hype, nothing else, and it's a bit funny really because those that go to great lengths to get the newest are also those that suffer the most in the end... they pay the highest price for the item, and they get the first revisions of boards. They also get the earliest OS'es filled with bugs to fight initialy.

So the old word saying that good things come to those who wait seems to hold true.

But I'm no saint though... I'll admit that my interrest seems to shift very fast after having gotten a new product, onto something I do not have... and I've got many synths today that I never really have played deeply with or created a lot on myself... it's a GAS curse, but I hope to cope with it very soon, stopping more gear aquisition in the future, so that I can get to know all of my synths... they surely need some lovin' by now :lol:

Evolver... still the best sounding synth from DSI in my opinion... when it comes to the sound that makes me feel good. It's not as advanced as the P12, but it still beat it sound quality wise in my opinion. I also believe, that in 20 years, the Poly Evolvers will be the most sought after of the synths DSI has done up until now...
Razmo

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:53 am

Boy, do I agree with the last few posts. I now have about half the amount of equipment that I had about four years ago. I find clutter to be terribly stifling, and that having less instruments results in much better concentration, cleaner inspiration, and deeper exploration of the instruments I do have. If there's one state of mind that drains creativity, it's the constant hyper quest for the latest stuff. I'm definitely guilty of this. And I haven't even come close to exhausting the Poly Evolver, nor even the Prophet '08. If I never heard again of another instrument, I'm sure these two would more than suffice for all my musical needs for life. It's just that it's so difficult not to become interested in the latest "new and improved" synthesizer, when it's advertised and discussed all over the sites and forums and tantalizing video demonstrations (including "unboxing videos") begin to appear on YouTube. This is quit a difficult force to resist.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby Razmo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:51 am

Sacred Synthesis wrote:Boy, do I agree with the last few posts. I now have about half the amount of equipment that I had about four years ago. I find clutter to be terribly stifling, and that having less instruments results in much better concentration, cleaner inspiration, and deeper exploration of the instruments I do have. If there's one state of mind that drains creativity, it's the constant hyper quest for the latest stuff. I'm definitely guilty of this. And I haven't even come close to exhausting the Poly Evolver, nor even the Prophet '08. If I never heard again of another instrument, I'm sure these two would more than suffice for all my musical needs for life. It's just that it's so difficult not to become interested in the latest "new and improved" synthesizer, when it's advertised and discussed all over the sites and forums and tantalizing video demonstrations (including "unboxing videos") begin to appear on YouTube. This is quit a difficult force to resist.

I agree... also if I look at all the synths I've had, and look at the best presets made by others, it's usualy some person who worked solely on that one machine who is behind the better sound... a sign that is really not that surprising because all time is focused on one thing. If you have a huge arsenal of synths, you end up having to share your resources on all of them, meaning mediocre experience with the machines in the long run.

Another thing that I've learned about myself is, that the more complex the synths are, the worse it gets... it seems as if I work best under limitations, that inspire me to actualy use the machines more.

This is also why I've lowered my selection to eight synthesizers, where I in the past easily had more than 16... but it gets overwhelmingly complex with so many... the mixer needs to be huge, there are cables everywhere, you need several MIDI interfaces, and making everything work nicely together is not always the easiest... on top of that, if pre 90's synths are involved you get maintennance and workarounds problems in addition because they lack communication features, have larger latencies etc. etc.

It's not many months since I decided to limit myself to eight stereo synths plus a single drummachine, and I decided I'll not have anything pre-90's and rather go for the flagship synths... quality above quantity so to speak.

It's not a lie to say, that I've spend more than 20 years with GAS syndrome, always waiting for something new before I really got down to making music... and I'm still there, but can see an end to it now. I'm tired of aquireing, instead of making music really.

So my own setup is from very carefuly selected instruments that I've chosen over a very long period of time, but most are either DSI or Waldorf.

DSI Poly Evolver Rack
DSI Prophet 08 Module
DSI Prophet 12 Module
Waldorf Microwave 1
Waldorf Pulse 1
Waldorf Pulse 2
ORLA DSE-24
DSI Tempest

I'm only planning two more synths... one being the Pro 2 or a Sub37 ... don't know which yet.
Besides that I need ONE synth with keys to work as a master keyboard at the same time, but this is the one causing me the most grief, because I'm really picky with quality here, and the size. Currently it'll be either Pro 2 Keys or maybe even a Blofeld Keys, but I'm not sure. I feel the Pro 2 keys should have been at least 4 octaves, not 3½.
Razmo

Return to Pro 2