Pro 2 photos

Information and discussion about the DSI Pro 2.

Pro 2 photos

Postby peter m mahr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:40 pm

peter m mahr
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby dslsynth » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Nice pictures, Peter! Did you take these photos yourself? Very nice photographic work! And I can guess that you was involved in the sound design for Pro2. Good to see given how well your and Cords Prophet 12 sounds turned out!
User avatar
dslsynth
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:45 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby peter m mahr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:36 pm

Hej,

Thank you! Yes, I took the photos (as nearly all photos on my blog) as I had the chance. So far I did not contribute any sounds to the Pro 2.

Cheers,
Peter
peter m mahr
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:45 pm

And yet you've got a Pro 2 before it has even been released? Hey, Peter, can you put my name down on that list, too!
Last edited by Sacred Synthesis on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sacred Synthesis
 

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby peter m mahr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:49 pm

If only I could. This is not my Pro 2.

Cheers,
Peter
peter m mahr
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby dslsynth » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:37 pm

peter m mahr wrote:Yes, I took the photos (as nearly all photos on my blog) as I had the chance.

Awesome shots. What kind of gear (camera, lens, lighting) did you use for the shots?

Sacred Synthesis wrote:And yet you've got a Pro 2 before it has even been released? Hey, Peter, can you put my name down on that list, too!

Its very easy indeed. Just write "I love digital oscillators" a thousand times by hand and send the resulting sheets to DSI. I mean given how much flak Prophet 12 has received from some of us it may very well take some serious effort to convince DSI to loan us preproduction instruments for sound design! ;-)

(better fun for cover now)
User avatar
dslsynth
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:45 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:44 pm

dslsynth wrote:Its very easy indeed. Just write "I love digital oscillators" a thousand times by hand and send the resulting sheets to DSI. I mean given how much flak Prophet 12 has received from some of us it may very well take some serious effort to convince DSI to loan us preproduction instruments for sound design!



Ha ha! That was a good one! I guess that means you and I won't be getting one.

But wait a minute. I've actually been saying very good things about the Pro 2. Hmmm....Let me go check the front door for packages.
Sacred Synthesis
 

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby dslsynth » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 pm

Old school technology! . o O ( :mrgreen: )

Seriously, I love the digital oscillators in Prophet 12 and Pro2. They are much better than those on the Evolver. I just don't think they can stand alone. Reason? I am way too spoiled by the Evolvers hybrid oscillator section. Also it would be nice with a new type of user provided wave shapes. . o O ( wavelets )

Recipe for my kind of DSI module: Prophet 12 voice architecture + Curtis chip analog oscillators + Oberheim SVF instead of current highpass filter + analog filter feedback + one voice per channel multitimbral. Such a two or four voice compact module would be extremely nice. And a good design of a fairly affordable product with all the new voice architecture goodies from Tempest, Prophet 12 and Pro2.

As for saying nice things about Pro2 consider sending Tom Oberheim an email saying you would love him to make a SEM based two oscillator eurorack module. In that way you can get the best from both worlds simply by controlling said VCO module from your Pro2.
User avatar
dslsynth
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:45 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby Razmo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:38 am

dslsynth wrote:Old school technology! . o O ( :mrgreen: )

Seriously, I love the digital oscillators in Prophet 12 and Pro2. They are much better than those on the Evolver. I just don't think they can stand alone. Reason? I am way too spoiled by the Evolvers hybrid oscillator section. Also it would be nice with a new type of user provided wave shapes. . o O ( wavelets )

Recipe for my kind of DSI module: Prophet 12 voice architecture + Curtis chip analog oscillators + Oberheim SVF instead of current highpass filter + analog filter feedback + one voice per channel multitimbral. Such a two or four voice compact module would be extremely nice. And a good design of a fairly affordable product with all the new voice architecture goodies from Tempest, Prophet 12 and Pro2.

As for saying nice things about Pro2 consider sending Tom Oberheim an email saying you would love him to make a SEM based two oscillator eurorack module. In that way you can get the best from both worlds simply by controlling said VCO module from your Pro2.


Well... with the Pro 2's new CV Gate/CV out's and ins, you could easily add those oscillators yourselves by adding some modular gear... with four CV Out's you could route it like this:

CV1 ... as gate signal
CV2 ... as pitch signal

Then just plug the audio output of the oscillator module into the input of the Pro 2.... VOILA! ... an analog oscillator added, and you could potentialy make them part of saved presets, not even having to touch the modules at all as they are fully controlled from the Pro 2's mod matrix.... and you even have two CVs left over if you wanted more control over an oscillator module with more control options... the possibilities here are rather flexible ;)

You might have to find an oscillator module that has CV controllable waveform selection though, if you do not want to touch the module itself... there ought to be some that has gradual fading between waveforms, or something like that... that would be the target for the CV3 output of course.

Personaly I think I'd be using external modules this way, but rather with some eurorack effects modules attached to the Pro 2's outputs maybe some filters etc... this CV feature is really rather nice when you think about it... but... I'd be buying myself poor if I start on that road, that's a fact :? ... you'd also have to get two of each module because of the stereo output of the Pro 2 ... would not want to give up stereo :)
User avatar
Razmo
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby BobTheDog » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 am

Most modular oscillators have individual outputs for each waveform rather than a single output with selectable waveform.

You could use a VC Cross fader/mixer or switch though to get your desired result. For instance the Doepfer A-134-2 is a simple CV Controlled crossfader that can be used to cross fade between two audio signals.
User avatar
BobTheDog
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:17 pm

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby dslsynth » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:28 am

Razmo wrote:you'd also have to get two of each module because of the stereo output of the Pro 2 ... would not want to give up stereo :)

To the best of my understanding the Pro2 is a panned mono design just like all the other DSI instruments except Evolver. So you need just one set of oscillator modules to realize the CV/eurorack analog oscillator solution. Also the CV + external input solution is so obvious that even I could see it. :twisted:
User avatar
dslsynth
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:45 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby cr73645 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:38 pm

Nice pictures of the Pro 2 Peter!!
I didn't understand exactly why do you have access to a Pro 2... aren't you supposed to design sounds for it?
Prophet '08 PE | Little Phatty Stage II | Sub Phatty | Ambika 6xSMR4 | Anushri
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/synthway
cr73645
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:28 am

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby peter m mahr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:30 pm

I sent you a pm.

Here is a four minute demo with a focus on bass sounds and the (amazing!) internal 32 step sequencer:

https://soundcloud.com/petermmahr/dsi-pro-2-pmm-demo-1

Cheers,
Peter
peter m mahr
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby Razmo » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:20 pm

dslsynth wrote:
Razmo wrote:you'd also have to get two of each module because of the stereo output of the Pro 2 ... would not want to give up stereo :)

To the best of my understanding the Pro2 is a panned mono design just like all the other DSI instruments except Evolver. So you need just one set of oscillator modules to realize the CV/eurorack analog oscillator solution. Also the CV + external input solution is so obvious that even I could see it. :twisted:


Well.. yes... but you'd loose the panning functionality of the Pro 2 then... of course you could "reinvent" that with a panning module at the end of the Modular chain I guess... probably cheaper than two of everything :)
User avatar
Razmo
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: Pro 2 photos

Postby dslsynth » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:27 pm

There is only one external input (ref mono) so as for processing sounds with Pro2 one only needs channel. Obviously as soon as one wants to process or layer sounds from Pro2 then the "stereo fee" manifests itself.
User avatar
dslsynth
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:45 pm
Location: Denmark


Return to Pro 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron