Quality Musical Demonstrations

Information and discussion about the DSI Pro 2.

Quality Musical Demonstrations

Postby cbmd » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:19 am

I figured I'd start the thread with a song for TAO.

https://soundcloud.com/cbmdmusic/pro2-p ... h-demo-mp3

Enjoy!
Carson Day
Dave Smith Instruments
cbmd

Re: Quality Musical Demonstrations

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:32 am

Boy, I really made a name for myself with that thread, didn't I? And you guys know I'm gonna fall right back into my old ways. Yup.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby cbmd » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:53 am

It all made for a good read :)
Carson Day
Dave Smith Instruments
cbmd

Postby Razmo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:02 am

I look forward to hearing more examples of this machine.... for some reason, this character of the Pro 2 sounds a bit different compared to the other two I've heard, and I have a hard time hearing any major change in the filters as pointed out. Maybe it's because it's the same preset playing all thru the demo, I don't know, but in this demo it sounds a lot more P12'ish than in the earlier demo's from the launch of the Pro 2.
Razmo

Postby cbmd » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:16 am

Certainly the Pro 2 will sound different based on the musical context it is placed in as well as how the context shapes the design of a patch. The Pro 2 really does have a unique sound, but I won't try to convince you. If you have both in front of you, it's very easy to hear.

Also, you do realize that the demo was a single take of a Mono Synth?! I mean come on :P
Carson Day
Dave Smith Instruments
cbmd

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:56 am

Carson I would be willing to do a full side by side test between the P12 and the P2, all you need to do is send me one to try :)
BobTheDog

Postby Cord » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:28 am

Here comes something less quality but I did not want to open a new thread!

https://soundcloud.com/lesartsnouveaux/12-minus-1-equals-2
Cord

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:44 pm

I like that, nice one.
BobTheDog

Postby Razmo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:02 pm

cbmd wrote:Certainly the Pro 2 will sound different based on the musical context it is placed in as well as how the context shapes the design of a patch. The Pro 2 really does have a unique sound, but I won't try to convince you. If you have both in front of you, it's very easy to hear.

Also, you do realize that the demo was a single take of a Mono Synth?! I mean come on :P

I think the problem for me is, that it's not the type of music I would associalte with a monosynth, and besides, that MIDI file is waaaay too quantized for my liking with this kind of music.... still... I don't think that the raw guts of the new descrete filters is very present in your demo, as compared to the others I've heard... it's hard to describe what I hear, but honestly, the raw sound in that demo does not impress me very much... better be honest and say it :) ... but that's a personal opinion of course.
Razmo

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:51 am

Sacred Synthesis

Postby Cord » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:24 am

Cord

Postby snowcrash » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:17 am

Beautiful demos. The Pro 2 is so spot on, on every level. I'm instantly in love. So far I couldn't find any quirks in the specs that could hold me back from ordering one right away, I nearly get early adopter syndrome.

Though I first got to fund that thing... *wickedly staring at my synth rack*
Poly Evolver Keyboard, Desktop Evolver, Minimoog Voyager OS, Micromoog, Roland SH101, KORG MS20 Mini, Arturia Minibrute/Microbrute, Elektron A4, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg ESX/EMX, Roland RS-09, Hohner String Melody II, Yamaha AN1x and a couple more. If you have questions about those synths feel free to ask me in a new thread.
snowcrash

Postby dslsynth » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:21 am

Wanting the keyboard or module version of Pro2, showcrash?
dslsynth

Postby snowcrash » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Keyboard. After all these years noodling around my fingers finally do what I want, most of the times. It drives me crazy on the A4 that there's only this tiny little octave, even when only programming the sequencer. 3 1/2 octaves is perfect for me anyway.

Besides, I doubt there will be a module version of it anytime soon. And when, I think it will be something different. As a module the P12 makes much more sense already.
Poly Evolver Keyboard, Desktop Evolver, Minimoog Voyager OS, Micromoog, Roland SH101, KORG MS20 Mini, Arturia Minibrute/Microbrute, Elektron A4, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg ESX/EMX, Roland RS-09, Hohner String Melody II, Yamaha AN1x and a couple more. If you have questions about those synths feel free to ask me in a new thread.
snowcrash

Postby Razmo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Well... I certainly hope there will be a module version, because I don't need more keyboards... have not got the space for them.

But I lately decided that my next purchase will be a Tempest anyway, so I've got plenty of time to follow what is going to happen with the Pro 2 line :)
Razmo

Postby BobTheDog » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Razmo wrote:Well... I certainly hope there will be a module version, because I don't need more keyboards... have not got the space for them.

But I lately decided that my next purchase will be a Tempest anyway, so I've got plenty of time to follow what is going to happen with the Pro 2 line :)

You can't go wrong with a Tempest, it's a fantastic little thing.
BobTheDog

Postby Razmo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:19 pm

BobTheDog wrote:
Razmo wrote:Well... I certainly hope there will be a module version, because I don't need more keyboards... have not got the space for them.

You can't go wrong with a Tempest, it's a fantastic little thing.

Well... It's a bit underspecced in the MIDI department still I think, but at least it will recieve full sysex dumps from the outside world... it should suit my needs for an editor until Pym gets down to implementing better specs.... if...
Razmo

Postby dslsynth » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:24 pm

To the best of my knowledge some of the Tempest sysex formats are compressed with an unspecified algorithm. So sounddiver may not be able to decode said formats unfortunately. I did ask Chris early on to keep the compression inside the box and hence let the file system do all the compression and let all sysex formats be uncompressed. Not sure what the current status is though.
dslsynth

Postby Razmo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:45 pm

dslsynth wrote:To the best of my knowledge some of the Tempest sysex formats are compressed with an unspecified algorithm. So sounddiver may not be able to decode said formats unfortunately. I did ask Chris early on to keep the compression inside the box and hence let the file system do all the compression and let all sysex formats be uncompressed. Not sure what the current status is though.

Darn it! ... But I need a flexible drummachine with samples and analog synthesis that is DEEP! ... there is no other options out there where the engine works like in the Tempest... all others have special engines for each type of drumsound... I like the idear that all drumsounds in the Tempest are in fact identical, and only the programing determine what sound it is... this alow me to use it for both percussion and sound FX which is what I want.

SoundDiver should be able to recieve the dumps and send them back though, so I can easily make the most important: A librarian function, so that I can browse sounds from SoundDiver on the fly. I'll just have to do the editing on the device itself instead then.

Not what I really wanted, but I'll have to live with that... and then hope that Pym will do something about this later.

EDIT: ... on second thought, I think I'll just pass on the Tempest for now, until more news is out on the future MIDI specs of it.... I'll stick with my trusty ol' E-MU E6400 Ultra for percussion and FX till then.
Razmo

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:25 am

There are only a few recordings of the Pro 2 currently available, but already it seems clear it sounds substantially different from the Prophet 12. I've liked this one from the first notes I heard. Looks are deceptive. The Pro 2 seems to be one-twelfth of the Prophet 12, but no; it's related to it, but by no means identical with it.

I'd like to hear a careful run through of the oscillators, including the 13 Superwaves. I hope DSI offers us another video demonstration soon.
Sacred Synthesis

Next

Return to Pro 2