Pro 2 Announced

Information and discussion about the DSI Pro 2.

Re: Pro 2 Announced

Postby dslsynth » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 am

Razmo wrote:Buit wansn't the sysex format packed? ... so what good would it do releasing the format, if you need to customize software to unpack the data first!? ... for you as a programer yes... but for me using SoundDiver it's of no use really... unfortunately.... I really wish they'd add uncompressed SysEx specs at some point, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for anything... lesson of experience I guess :roll:

The impression I got from Chris on the old forum is that it is a packed format with the compression build into the file system. But let me guess that sysex exposed RAM based data will be uncompressed. Will have to wait and see what happens when and if it ever happens.
dslsynth

Postby Razmo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:58 am

dslsynth wrote:
Razmo wrote:Buit wansn't the sysex format packed? ... so what good would it do releasing the format, if you need to customize software to unpack the data first!? ... for you as a programer yes... but for me using SoundDiver it's of no use really... unfortunately.... I really wish they'd add uncompressed SysEx specs at some point, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for anything... lesson of experience I guess :roll:

The impression I got from Chris on the old forum is that it is a packed format with the compression build into the file system. But let me guess that sysex exposed RAM based data will be uncompressed. Will have to wait and see what happens when and if it ever happens.

Yeah... too many uncertainties about the Tempest in this department, and Pym is not much for giving any thoughts on his thoughts on this... we only know that he'll be "working on the Tempest after the Pro 2 release"... thats all... :?
Razmo

Postby dslsynth » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Razmo wrote:Yeah... too many uncertainties about the Tempest in this department, and Pym is not much for giving any thoughts on his thoughts on this... we only know that he'll be "working on the Tempest after the Pro 2 release"... thats all... :?

Plus that Pro2 is still in preproduction phase and hence DSI is really really busy right now. So no wonders are to be expected at this point in time (besides Pro2).
dslsynth

Postby Solsonic Bass » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Hello Forum. Is this the official new forum?

This Pro 2 can't come to me fast enough.
True Story....
I won a Pro One on ebay. 4 days later seller refunds and honestly says the Pro One needs service.
The next day Dave throws out his teaser.

It's fate. Alsways wanted an SCI/DSI. Fell in love with my mopho4 over the last 2 months.
Passed on Elektron, Sub37 and even a Jupiter 6 for this Pro Two.

It sounds and looks amazing.
Yes it's a lot for a Mono/Para but so did all the UK Vinyl I used to buy.

Americas Best Synth Engineer!
Mopho x4, Pro 2
Juno 106, TR-808, R8
AN1X, CS6X, SY35, RX11, AN200, DX200
Ensoniq Fizmo, BS2, Acidlab Miami
Aira: S1, TR8, VT3, TB3

"Machine is the beat"
Solsonic Bass

Postby Razmo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm

dslsynth wrote:Are you aware that Tempest individual outs are in stereo so one needs a special cable or insert cable in the stereo mixer inputs?

Are you sure about this? ... the manual states nothing about the connectivity actualy, on that department it's very vague... To some degree, I hope this is not true, because then I need to reconfigure my whole mixer once again :evil: ... I really thought those were mono... I think I recall reading somewhere, that you loose panning when using them, so if that is the case, then why would they be stereo!?
Razmo

Postby Pym » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:05 am

Yeah Razmo that might be a huge reason things sound a bit weak, especially if you're using TRS cables. Use an insert cable in each jack and it splits to both L/R channels in stereo
Pym

Postby cbmd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:40 am

yup, bottom of page 38 of the manual states:

"The voice output jacks are stereo, and so retain any pan settings."
Carson Day
Dave Smith Instruments
cbmd

Postby Razmo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:27 am

cbmd wrote:yup, bottom of page 38 of the manual states:

"The voice output jacks are stereo, and so retain any pan settings."

I actualy read that yesterday, so I'm aware of it... too bad, but I guess I should not complain about this, as Stereo is a lot better than mono in my case... it just will take up more mixing channels than I have left, so some compromising has to be done :lol:

Funny... I read somewhere yesterday too, that you could just plug mono cables in for mono... I was doubting this, and can see from Pym's answer that I was right about that.

Besides... I don't HAVE Tempest yet... I'm planning on getting one early next month, I just happen to thoroughly research a maschine before I buy it, to make sure I know what it does and does not do... and with the Tempst that even more important than anything else because of all those early half-promises that were given.

Besides... now that I got the two of you here, could you please make those Beta OS threads again perhaps? ... I doubt my new Tempest next month will have the latest Beta installed which I will CERTAINLY want, but there is nowhere I can download it as the old forum is history. :)
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:32 am

Besides... the text in the manual stating that the outs are in stereo CAN be misread, or at least make you doubt as to HOW this is in stereo... it could be interpreted in two ways... the first being that each single jack is a TRS jack with stereo connection... or, that two Jacks could be grouped as a stereo out... it's not fully clear what it means (at least it was not to me in the first place).

Whenever you update the manual, you might want to clear this up with some direct explanation of the fact that a single jack is a TRS plug, and also indicate what type of cable the user should use to get stereo... I wonder how many users out there is using these with mono cables :D
Razmo

Postby BobTheDog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:35 am

@razmo

The main advantage of the stereo outs is that you basically get 12 outs if you hard pan your sounds, there is one caveat in that the feedback only taps from the right channel so any sounds using feedback need to be on this channel.

Even though the Tempest can only play 6 sounds at a time it gives you the ability to process 12 sounds differently.

Maybe it is time to get that patch bay :)

P.S. PM me your email and I will send you the OS files and the Competition sounds.
BobTheDog

Postby Razmo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:25 pm

BobTheDog wrote:@razmo

The main advantage of the stereo outs is that you basically get 12 outs if you hard pan your sounds, there is one caveat in that the feedback only taps from the right channel so any sounds using feedback need to be on this channel.

Even though the Tempest can only play 6 sounds at a time it gives you the ability to process 12 sounds differently.

Maybe it is time to get that patch bay :)

P.S. PM me your email and I will send you the OS files and the Competition sounds.

Ahh,... yes... I have been having that thought too about panning hard L/R... but many of DSI's other products are a bit weird when it comes to panning, so I was not sure of this as a possibility.... until now that is :)

But I simply don't have that many mixer channels anyway... so yes, maybe a patchbay is the solution... or a submixer... I'll figure it out... point is, that in any case I'd have to leave one individual stereo out unconnected, otherwise I'll not be able to use the compressor and distortion on the stereo out...
Razmo

Postby Paul Dither » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:48 am

Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/prophet-08-patches
Paul Dither

Postby Strange Quark Star » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:57 am

It looks really fantastic! I love the 3+ octaves and the control panel.

But what about all the shot glasses on the monitor? They even multiplied in between the two videos you just posted!
Prophet '08 Serial № 01369, potentiometer retrofit
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7 | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Kawai K-5 ATX
--
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/StrangeQuarkStar
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/strange-quark-star
Strange Quark Star

Postby Paul Dither » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Strange Quark Star wrote:But what about all the shot glasses on the monitor? They even multiplied in between the two videos you just posted!

I guess they're having a good time...

I was always expecting these shot glasses to become available in the DSI store, but I never saw anything being offered in the category "DSI Merch". Well, apart from a few accessories and upgrade kits, the DSI store has become an empty place anyway. Maybe DSI should arrange a joint venture with their favorite Tequila producer and sell both form and content.
Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

Paul Dither

Postby Strange Quark Star » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Poptones wrote:Maybe DSI should arrange a joint venture with their favorite Tequila producer and sell both form and content.

Line up several glasses, fill 'em up: sequential liquids?
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7 | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Kawai K-5 ATX
--
Strange Quark Star

Postby Paul Dither » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Strange Quark Star wrote:
Poptones wrote:Maybe DSI should arrange a joint venture with their favorite Tequila producer and sell both form and content.

Line up several glasses, fill 'em up: sequential liquids?

16x16, featuring per-step tequila in performance mode.

Paul Dither

Postby namnibor » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:01 am

I actually like the sound of the Pro 2 in paraphonic mode over anything I have heard on Pro12. It's the filters that make a world of difference and variety for me, at least, and I want this...the price is a bit extreme but am hoping the actually competition and MAP prices are a little lower. I am really also liking possibilities the on-board sequencer may bring so will be playing "wait and see" and doing thorough research of specs and play one later this year.

I do know this though...my cat will be buying me either a Pro2 or a Sub37 for Christmas, 2014. :D :shock:

My cat does all the real magic around here :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chhlMgECigE
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby AlanC » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 am

namnibor wrote:My cat does all the real magic around here :lol:

So we can expect another feline demo, then? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Trm_kaklKk
AlanC

Postby namnibor » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:02 am

AlanC wrote:
namnibor wrote:My cat does all the real magic around here :lol:

So we can expect another feline demo, then? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Trm_kaklKk

THANKS!!!
**THAT* rocked my early Saturday morning and is also an excellent demonstration of 'Cat Scratch Fever' on the Sub Phatty ....the reason the Sub37 also appeals to me aside from knob-per-function/gobs modulation, is it has after touch and longer keybed. I use after touch a lot because it's such a great way to free the foot pedal/switch for another destination as well as the mod wheel....with the Pro 2, the addition of the two touch/pressure slider strips.

Anyone actually know what the specs of the Pro 2's sequencer are as far as "16 tracks with up to 32 steps..." ? Does this mean each sequencer line can have up to 32 steps or because it's primarily a mono synth, (paraphonic), in-total, one can have 32 steps? Can there be different time signatures on each line? What if one has more than the -1- Gate(are the input/outputs TRS to where a break-out cable is needed/split/ring), does the Pro 2 effectively act as a CV/MIDI and a MIDI/CV converter or only one or neither, and generally, more than what DSI website lists?

Cat's rule!
Attachments
UnseenCat.jpg
UnseenCat.jpg (24.07 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby Strange Quark Star » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:12 am

namnibor wrote:Anyone actually know what the specs of the Pro 2's sequencer are as far as "16 tracks with up to 32 steps..." ?

It's 16 tracks of 16 steps each or 8 tracks of 32 steps each.

From Pym's post on the gearlutz':

Pym wrote:To expand a bit on the sequencer:

Step mode that steps through one step at a time from key, ext audio, or a CV input
Slew PER STEP on every sequence track
Live recording using knob movements that automatically assign the param to a new sequence
Point to point slew (per step) so you can do precise ramps on parameter changes per step
Note slew on the main track for 303 style sequences (all oscillators)
Step recording: toggle record on and start pressing keys to enter the sequence
In step input, hold a key and turn a knob to assign that param to the step and hear the changes in realtime, makes it super easy to enter what you want quickly
Envelope trigger on/off so you can have param/CV/MIDI tracks running independently of keyboard/synth playback, or hold a note and have it affected by the param changes without retriggering
You can use every track as a MIDI track if you want to control multiple instruments
Selectable length, 16 tracks with 16 steps or 8 tracks with 32 steps
Individual track reset point for each track like the Evolver (for polyrhythmic stuff)
Note ties to extend step length for both note tracks and parameter tracks
Rests per step for both note and parameter tracks (params just revert to the default value during a rest)
Sequencer buttons track the currently selected step so you can edit/tie/rest params easily using the sequencer buttons
Individual step editing shortcut by holding the step and moving a param or hitting a key, automatically assigning it to a new sequence if needed
--
Strange Quark Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pro 2