Pro 2 Announced

Information and discussion about the DSI Pro 2.

Re: Pro 2 Announced

Postby Razmo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:44 pm

I'm wondering what exactly the first filter of the new Pro 2 is modelled after... all the time where I hear DSI employees and Dave himself refer to this filter, they say that it's modelled after the original Prophet 5...

but I just checked... there was three versions of the Prophet 5... the first two used SSM filters, and the third used Curtis filters...

So what filter exactly is it that the Pro 2 is emulating? ... I'm getting this weird feeling, that the Pro 2 filter in this context is probably the Curtis filter? ... or is it really a modelled SSM filter?
Razmo

Postby namnibor » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:21 am

@Razmo....I guess great minds think alike sometimes because I was **just** doing this research on the Sequential Circuits' filters used in the Prophet 5 (all three different revisions), as when I watched that Pro 2 intro video after several times, it made me curious about whether it's a simulated SSM or indeed a 'tweaked' Curtis because back in 1983 I had a new Prophet 600 (still have it but needs repaired at Wine Country) and I absolutely loved the sound of that synth's filter.

I think I will be awaiting more information and reviews on the Pro 2 rather than pre-ordering. There's also *still* no sub-forum on other forum for Pro 2 and thought they were supposed to be shipping end of July?!!

Look forward to reading the user manual and hopefully more videos from DSI.
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby Razmo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:59 am

namnibor wrote:@Razmo....I guess great minds think alike sometimes because I was **just** doing this research on the Sequential Circuits' filters used in the Prophet 5 (all three different revisions), as when I watched that Pro 2 intro video after several times, it made me curious about whether it's a simulated SSM or indeed a 'tweaked' Curtis because back in 1983 I had a new Prophet 600 (still have it but needs repaired at Wine Country) and I absolutely loved the sound of that synth's filter.

I think I will be awaiting more information and reviews on the Pro 2 rather than pre-ordering. There's also *still* no sub-forum on other forum for Pro 2 and thought they were supposed to be shipping end of July?!!

Look forward to reading the user manual and hopefully more videos from DSI.

Hehe yes... we obviously have thought the same thoughts on this :)

IF it is a Curtis emulation... then I'm curious if it's just another of Dave's new Curtis chips sitting in there, and not a discrete filter... I would in that case not be surprised if it's the same chip as in all other DSI instruments.

In fact I don't think I've heard or read anywhere, that any of the two filters are discrete components, only that they "Emulate" old filters... will be interresting to know what it really is, once someone get inside one of these beasts.
Razmo

Postby namnibor » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:22 am

Well, it's always the *sound* and possibilities to be had, and the few (in my opinion, too few) demo videos and sound designer posts sound DAMN great. It comes down to this dual and versatile filter configuration, regardless of their origin. However, advertising can often have a bit of hyperbole.
I have experience with a very similar (even a bit more) dual filter configuration on my albeit, digital, but still quite awesome, Waldorf Q Keyboard, (only the Q+ had full analog filters for 16 voices, but larger poly using digital or combo), and am only sharing this because I really have not been this excited about a new synth covering many bases, including individual envelopes for each of 4 oscillators in paraphonic mode, which is quite different as you know how it works with the Waldorf Pulse 2...which was and is the most recent synth that I too waited almost 2 years for them to release, but the playing style for 4 and 8 voice on it makes one have to mind playing technique if you do not wish cut-offs, et al. The Pulse 2 does have 2 CV outs. My Pulse+ has cv/gate/ins and outs, so can definitely use the Pro 2 to control it...a vermona mono lancet or minataur all connected to Pro 2 would give a HUGE variety of filters and the start of mini modular Jacob's Ladder. ;)
I will be interested in knowing if each of the Pro 2's 4 oscillators can be assigned own midi channel to where even in a midi daisy chain, play those or even DSI explain in detail just how the Tetr4 is configured and how well does the Pro 2 knobby surface control the Tetra and of course how the super-waves are set-up; are they such with an LFO one can like on the Pro12, interpolate between these 'waves'?

Deep, I know, but it is driving me crazy not having the :idea: User Manual to read :idea: and I will not pre-order something without being able to do so. :idea:

Lastly, does the CV/Gate to 'other than', such as S-Trig/Hz, or whatever it is Korg and I think Yamaha utilizes and even clock from say, Volca's or Monotribe?

Wakey, Wakey, Carson :P :?:
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby Razmo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 am

namnibor wrote:Well, it's always the *sound* and possibilities to be had, and the few (in my opinion, too few) demo videos and sound designer posts sound DAMN great. It comes down to this dual and versatile filter configuration, regardless of their origin. However, advertising can often have a bit of hyperbole.
I have experience with a very similar (even a bit more) dual filter configuration on my albeit, digital, but still quite awesome, Waldorf Q Keyboard, (only the Q+ had full analog filters for 16 voices, but larger poly using digital or combo), and am only sharing this because I really have not been this excited about a new synth covering many bases, including individual envelopes for each of 4 oscillators in paraphonic mode, which is quite different as you know how it works with the Waldorf Pulse 2...which was and is the most recent synth that I too waited almost 2 years for them to release, but the playing style for 4 and 8 voice on it makes one have to mind playing technique if you do not wish cut-offs, et al. The Pulse 2 does have 2 CV outs. My Pulse+ has cv/gate/ins and outs, so can definitely use the Pro 2 to control it...a vermona mono lancet or minataur all connected to Pro 2 would give a HUGE variety of filters and the start of mini modular Jacob's Ladder. ;)
I will be interested in knowing if each of the Pro 2's 4 oscillators can be assigned own midi channel to where even in a midi daisy chain, play those or even DSI explain in detail just how the Tetr4 is configured and how well does the Pro 2 knobby surface control the Tetra and of course how the super-waves are set-up; are they such with an LFO one can like on the Pro12, interpolate between these 'waves'?

Deep, I know, but it is driving me crazy not having the :idea: User Manual to read :idea: and I will not pre-order something without being able to do so. :idea:

Lastly, does the CV/Gate to 'other than', such as S-Trig/Hz, or whatever it is Korg and I think Yamaha utilizes and even clock from say, Volca's or Monotribe?

Wakey, Wakey, Carson :P :?:

Yeah... there is still a lot of questions to be answered around the Pro 2, but I've decided to wait finding out until I can actualy read the manual... the information given in small bits are too confusing really.

Personaly I don't care about what's inside the Pro 2, as long as it sounds different to the P12 character, otherwise I find them to be too close to actualy complement each other... That's also why I just ordered a Tempest instead of the Pro 2.... I'd like to research the Pro 2 and see the response from the first "test rabbits" out there before taking the jump... especialy considering DSI's bug fixing policy.

I think it's wise to let the Pro 2 "mature" a bit first...
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:22 am

@Namnibor:

And yes... you're right about the Pulse 2... the paraphonic mode is a lot less useable than I anticipated. It's limited to only Pulse waveforms which is rather limiting in my opinion, and besides it has a strange "ringing out" when you have some release on a program using paraphonic modes... sounds almost like the pulsewidth is being modulated in the release phase... don't know if it's a hardware issue, or a bug, but it makes the use of release on paraphonic sounds less flexible really.

I've always liked paraphonic synths because they give a certain character to playing with a bit of release on the sound, but I'd like to use other waveforms but pulse... the Pro 2 certainly does that, and yes, the individual digital VCAs on every oscillator will certainly be very velcome, as it sort of breach the barrier between paraphonic and polyphonic in a bit weird way... in theory it's only the filters that are paraphonicly used you could say... but how it all sounds and how it feels to play such sounds I'll have to test myself I think...
Razmo

Postby namnibor » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:21 pm

As far as that Pulse 2 paraphonic mode "ringing" in the release...I just decided to try to make use of it sonically by letting that tail off into a phaser, for example, or really, even just reverb...it gives almost a pseudo-ensemble effect.
The Pro 2 does indeed seem to be an "Evolver on steroids"...I just worry that August could be holiday like parts of Europe for DSI and really want to read more about Pro 2...like an operations manual, would e great! :idea:
namnibor

Previous

Return to Pro 2