Pro 2 Announced

Information and discussion about the DSI Pro 2.

Re: Pro 2 Announced

Postby peter m mahr » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:26 pm

dslsynth wrote:Have lots of fun, Peter! And not even a single word about gear envy from me! ;-)

I porpose not to hijack this thread any longer with more audio demos. :x ;)
peter m mahr

Postby Razmo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:24 pm

peter m mahr wrote:
dslsynth wrote:Have lots of fun, Peter! And not even a single word about gear envy from me! ;-)

I porpose not to hijack this thread any longer with more audio demos. :x ;)

PLEASE!... post more demo's... that's what most of us are interrested in, and personaly I don't give a f*** about if it's off topic or not :lol:

I'm still trying to figure out if this synth presents enough difference to the P12 that I can justify a purchase at some point... and I've not heard enough yet to make that decission.
Razmo

Postby Paul Dither » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:03 am

Maybe no HQ sonic delight (some complained about the video quality, which I don't mind), but nice to see the Pro 2 communicating with another synth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z36hYZwZMu4
Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/prophet-08-patches
Paul Dither

Postby Paul Dither » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Last edited by Paul Dither on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

Paul Dither

Postby Soundquest2 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:59 pm

I can't buy till next year being I used up my synth play money already. But this is exciting and will find a way into my lineup soon as possible. DSI...looks like you nailed it this time......Just give me a decent manual and an easy (modern) way to upgrade OS's, backup patches, and I will be faithful once again. :)
Soundquest2

Postby Razmo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Poptones wrote:Maybe no HQ sonic delight (some complained about the video quality, which I don't mind), but nice to see the Pro 2 communicating with another synth:

That demo definitely nailed the character of the new filters... especialy the first bass he fires off... won't get that sound from other DSI synths.
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:39 pm

All these new demos of the Pro 2 pisses me off :evil:

The Pro 2 and Tempest cost the same, and I can buy ONE of them next month... cannot afford them both... pisses me off! :D

I need a Tempest the most as a tool as I don't have any drummachines currently (selling my Jomox Airbase)... but the Pro 2 pokes at my GAS syndrome SERIOUSLY!

but hey... they will probably be sold out pretty fast when they are released, so the Tempest will probably be my best shot at a GAS fix next month :?
Razmo

Postby Paul Dither » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Razmo wrote:
Poptones wrote:Maybe no HQ sonic delight (some complained about the video quality, which I don't mind), but nice to see the Pro 2 communicating with another synth:

That demo definitely nailed the character of the new filters... especialy the first bass he fires off... won't get that sound from other DSI synths.

I think so too. One can slowly grasp its particular character and I like it a lot.

Paul Dither

Postby Paul Dither » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:51 pm

Razmo wrote:All these new demos of the Pro 2 pisses me off :evil:

The Pro 2 and Tempest cost the same, and I can buy ONE of them next month... cannot afford them both... pisses me off! :D

I need a Tempest the most as a tool as I don't have any drummachines currently (selling my Jomox Airbase)... but the Pro 2 pokes at my GAS syndrome SERIOUSLY!

but hey... they will probably be sold out pretty fast when they are released, so the Tempest will probably be my best shot at a GAS fix next month :?

Haha, I get it. I visited Schneidersladen in Berlin last week. Lots of good stuff around. It was tough to resist apart from the stuff that was way out of my price range like Buchla systems for example. Very nice venue though. Anyway. The Pro 2 is definitely on my list after the Sub 37. If I didn't own a MEK+Desktop Evolver combo already, it would be first I guess.

Paul Dither

Postby Strange Quark Star » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:03 pm

Poptones wrote:Haha, I get it. I visited Schneidersladen in Berlin last week.

On a very off-topic note: is the local store you tested the Sub Phatty at by any chance the new Just Music, right in the neighborhood of Schneiders Laden? If so, did you notice the (in my opinion) defective Prophet 12 which emits a high-pitched whine whenever you play something? I've tried it at three different occasions, on all kinds of settings and even with my own headphones… maybe there's something wrong with the electrical outlet? I have not heard this kind of noise on any demo.
Prophet '08 Serial № 01369, potentiometer retrofit
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7 | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Kawai K-5 ATX
--
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/StrangeQuarkStar
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/strange-quark-star
Strange Quark Star

Postby Paul Dither » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:30 pm

Strange Quark Star wrote:
Poptones wrote:Haha, I get it. I visited Schneidersladen in Berlin last week.

On a very off-topic note: is the local store you tested the Sub Phatty at by any chance the new Just Music, right in the neighborhood of Schneiders Laden? If so, did you notice the (in my opinion) defective Prophet 12 which emits a high-pitched whine whenever you play something? I've tried it at three different occasions, on all kinds of settings and even with my own headphones… maybe there's something wrong with the electrical outlet? I have not heard this kind of noise on any demo.

The Sub Phatty? Oh, I tested that in a local musicstore in Nashville, where I live for most of the year. I was only visiting Berlin, so I can't speak of its Just Music Store, sorry. It's funny that you ask though, as I called the Just Music Store in Dortmund a few days ago to ask whether they have a Prophet 12 I could check out (you don't find any of these in Nashville), but that doesn't help you. Maybe a Prophet 12 user can help out.

Paul Dither

Postby dslsynth » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:33 am

Razmo wrote:(selling my Jomox Airbase)

How come? Not good enough? Like the sound?
dslsynth

Postby Razmo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:40 am

dslsynth wrote:
Razmo wrote:(selling my Jomox Airbase)

How come? Not good enough? Like the sound?

I actualy like the sound of it... the problem is the same as with so many other analog drummachines; it's based on the played to death 808 and 909, and that's fine if that's the kind of music you do, but I'm into more experimental music where I need really weird percussion and FX rather often, and the Jomox don't really cut it in that department... but if you want a machine that is poking at a 808 or 909 this one for sure will deliver.

So yes... it's more than good enough for what it does, but it just does not do what I need, and that's my problem with it :) ... MIDI specs are also superrb (which most analog drummachines never is).

I need the Tempest... mostly because it is build like a synth in it's architecture, instead of the usual analog descrete curcuit tailored for specific drumsounds... The Tempest have identical engines for ALL it's sounds, and it's so deep in editing, that it can do a very wide range of sounds... plus... and probably one of the biggest plusses for me; you can make FX with the engine too...

That should answer your question I guess :lol:
Razmo

Postby dslsynth » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:04 am

@Razmo: That makes lot of sense! What Tempest gives you on the voice architecture front are the digital samples, faster envelopes/LFOs and a highpass filter compared to the analog Prophet/Mopho/Tetra family. But basically its still just a normal DSI voice architecture with a few twists.

So I was wondering if Pro2 have just as fast envelopes as well given that it has a much wider range of sounds and better sounding discrete filters? Of cause that will require you to only record one sound at a time. But still it may be more interesting for the types of sounds you are after.

Have you tried to use your Evolver, Prophet '08 and Prophet 12 for making percussive sounds? How does that work for you?
dslsynth

Postby Razmo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:20 am

dslsynth wrote:@Razmo: That makes lot of sense! What Tempest gives you on the voice architecture front are the digital samples, faster envelopes/LFOs and a highpass filter compared to the analog Prophet/Mopho/Tetra family. But basically its still just a normal DSI voice architecture with a few twists.

So I was wondering if Pro2 have just as fast envelopes as well given that it has a much wider range of sounds and better sounding discrete filters? Of cause that will require you to only record one sound at a time. But still it may be more interesting for the types of sounds you are after.

Have you tried to use your Evolver, Prophet '08 and Prophet 12 for making percussive sounds? How does that work for you?

Yes... I've made percussive sounds on both Evolver and P12, and in general, any relatively deep synthesizer can do percussion pretty well.

The latest Pro 2 video demo from Carson also perfectly show that it will do percussion really well.

So why am I not just using my synths? ... well... because they are to be used for making just that... synth sounds. Most of them cannot do many separate voices... the Poly Evolver can be used in Combo mode for four which is rather good, but ... *COUGH!* ... I cannot save the darn shit anywhere! :lol:

The Prophet '08 and P12 has two layers maximum... and I'd rather use these for synth sounds etc.

That's where the Tempest does something the others do not... first of, it has six voices, that can play each it's own drumsound... that's perfect for my usage... four voices used for Kick, Snare, Hihats and Crash sent out on each it's own physical output to my mixer for individual processing with EQ, external FX etc... and then the stereo output connected to a stereo input as well for the last two voices that will do other percussion and/or Sound FX (and use the internal compressor plus distortion if I want to).

I simply need the Tempest as a main percussion/FX workhorse, and until now I've only seen ONE other machine that has that potential... the Waldorf Rack Attack (which I've had twice in the past).

The fact that each sound is identicaly structured also fixes the problem with hardwired drumsounds of analog drummachines with individual outs... with the Tempest, I can ssend ANY sound to the four connected individual outs if I want to... if I want to use the distortioni on a kick instead, I can just route it to the stereo bus... it's a hell of a lot more flexible than any other drummachine I know... including the Analog Rytm.

As I stated (debated fiercly) in another thread in here, I don't care for user samples, so that feature does not attract me on the Analog Rytm.

The only gripes I've got about the Tempest is that it does not have the usual superb DSI MIDI SysEx specs... but this is something I'll just have to get used to.... using it's interface instead of a computer editor, but I really don't think it'll be that big a problem because the interface seems to be very well laid out and intuitive, and I have to have the device in front of me at all times anyways, as I have to use the pads.

and then there is one more bonus... it has those two darn sliders that I did not get in my P12 module ;)
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:24 am

TO better understand why I don't just use my synths for percussion is, that I don't do multitrack audio recording... I play and create music the old fashion style, where every synth has it's own MIDI port, and is hooked up to a mixer, using the synths in single mode... That's the way I compose... it's all MIDI driven thru to the end where I record the mixer's master outputs to a single stereo track on the computer.

So using a synth for percussion would quickly use up all my resources... I may have a few synths, but not enough to make both percussion, sounds fx and bass, leads, pads etc. at the same time.
Razmo

Postby dslsynth » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:31 am

Makes sense to me! And support live jamming in the studio instead of recording one sound at a time as you wrote in the second message.

As for Elektron Analog Ryhm it will eventually have individual digital audio outs via its USB connection (ref Overbridge). But its still not general sound engines like Tempest.

Are you aware that Tempest individual outs are in stereo so one needs a special cable or insert cable in the stereo mixer inputs?
dslsynth

Postby dslsynth » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:34 am

Besides, it would be so lovely if DSI published the Tempest sound format soon to at least make computer based sound decoding possible. The more complex sysex formats can wait but the sound format would be really nice to have!
dslsynth

Postby Razmo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 am

dslsynth wrote:Besides, it would be so lovely if DSI published the Tempest sound format soon to at least make computer based sound decoding possible. The more complex sysex formats can wait but the sound format would be really nice to have!

Buit wansn't the sysex format packed? ... so what good would it do releasing the format, if you need to customize software to unpack the data first!? ... for you as a programer yes... but for me using SoundDiver it's of no use really... unfortunately.... I really wish they'd add uncompressed SysEx specs at some point, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for anything... lesson of experience I guess :roll:

The least I hope for is total control of all sound parameters via NRPN... that at least could help me make an editor in SoundDiver, if there is just a simple "request Sound" sysex message as well... I can then change the sounds by NRPN, and when editing is done, just send out a request string to the Tempest that will then send the updatede sound in packed format to sounddiver... that way it could work without even having to unpack the sound data.
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:45 am

dslsynth wrote:Makes sense to me! And support live jamming in the studio instead of recording one sound at a time as you wrote in the second message.

As for Elektron Analog Ryhm it will eventually have individual digital audio outs via its USB connection (ref Overbridge). But its still not general sound engines like Tempest.

Are you aware that Tempest individual outs are in stereo so one needs a special cable or insert cable in the stereo mixer inputs?

I've tried recording in layers before... it has some advantages, but also disadvantages I cannot live with... you cannot edit notes in something recorded, you have to re-record over and over again... mixing in the box is not for me... I like to do EQ and stuff on my analog mixer, so anything recorded would be hard to change settings in also... the only advantage I covett from such a way of recording is that you can reuse your synth as many times as you want... that's really intuitive because you don't think in resources when you record that way.

It's of course nice that the Rytm will be able to send sound thru USB, but I prefer analog mixing as I said, so still... I'm not dig'in the Rytm at all... it has ONE feature I envy though... built in FX.
Razmo

PreviousNext

Return to Pro 2