Pro 2 Announced

Information and discussion about the DSI Pro 2.

Pro 2 Announced

Postby chysn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:50 am

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/pro ... /index.php

I think there's a lot to love here. The dual analog filters, the wealth of CV ins and outs, the new sequencer. I think that more people expected a Prophet 12 with less polyphony than expected a monosynth. As a lover of monosynths, I think this is pretty exciting.
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Re: Pro 2 Announced

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:12 am

I'm shocked. The Pro 2 seems to have been made to my exact specifications. I think DSI might have tapped into my brain with this one! Seriously, for perhaps two years now I've been looking high and low for an exceptional analog monophonic synthesizer. The Moog Sub 37 looks fine, and so too does the Korg Arp Odyssey. Even the Korg MS 20 has some appeal. But I find two-oscillator synthesizers to be a bit limiting. I like a rich, deep, and melodious tone, and sometimes only two oscillators is just a bit too slight for my tastes. The Pro 2, with its four oscillators, is now on the top of my list for that feature alone. But there's so much more to like in it. I'm expecting that the much-expanded filter section and new "super waves" will produce an even better sound than the Prophet 12's digital oscillators. I haven't yet tried that instrument in person, though. And I'm so pleased that DSI didn't give us merely a three-octave keyboard. That extra lower half an octave adds so much, that it's almost like having a full four octaves.

I've also wanted to use a mono synth as a controller for other modules. There are so many superb analog modules available these days that one can build up a wonderfully rich and complex combination. The Pro 2 seems perfectly suited for being a controller, even for being the basis for a small modular, with its CV inputs and outputs.

This will be an exceptional instrument for fine and precise sound design. I'm really looking forward to hearing its strong and deep voice. On the slightly negative side - I have to admit that I'll wait a while until the bugs have been found and OS updates made. This is just the reality of new instruments. And some of us would rather not risk bungling the updates ourselves.

Somewhat humorously, I imagine Moog made a hard "gulp" when they read the specs of this instrument. Not only will the Pro 2 cut into the forthcoming Sub 37, but the Voyager as well. The analog purists will not be swayed, but it's a fact that the Pro 2 will provide stiff competition in Moog's market. Congratulations, Dave (even though I like Moog)!
Last edited by Sacred Synthesis on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:18 pm

The Pro2 is a much needed step forward for DSI with the new filter designs and a neat version of Elektron style parameter locks by pressing the record knob. Next point on DSI's syllabus (besides maintaining existing product software better) is designing new digitally controlled analog oscillators now that they got the digital oscillators working well.

As for the Pro2 the situation is slightly different as customers with thick enough wallets can find the best sounding eurorack VCO's and a mixer module and simply play them via CV outs from the Pro2 while feeding the VCO sound into external input. Not a bad idea. Plus all the modular fun the big wallet users can obtain from extending on that idea.

Wonder how long time it will be before DSI makes a poly synth with Pro2 technology? It will be a $$$$ machine and be really heavy. But users will love its sound for sure.

I think a module of Pro2 design would be around $1200 or if it gets the same kind of reduced interface as Prophet 12 module. Still too much for my wallet but I would love to own such a box!

Anyone not aware of Mutable Instruments Braids module?
http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/braids

Also I see Pro2 as kind of a response to Mutable Instruments Ambika and Shruthi designs with their two digital oscillators and discrete filters. Such a box is still on my list though it will have to wait for better times. Was very close to ordering a Midnight edition while it was possible but really wanted the 4PM instead.

PS: One advantage of an alternate forum is that one can write plastic oscillator in full public more or less without getting into trouble. . o O ( :shock: )
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:26 pm

o O ( :shock: )

Elmquist?
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:31 pm

. o O ( :o )

. o O ( thought you girlies knew that )

. o O ( :mrgreen: )
dslsynth

Postby dslsynth » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:02 pm

Sacred Synthesis wrote:Somewhat humorously, I imagine Moog made a hard "gulp" when they read the specs of this instrument. Not only will the Pro 2 cut into the forthcoming Sub 37, but the Voyager as well. The analog purists will not be swayed, but it's a fact that the Pro 2 will provide stiff competition in Moog's market. Congratulations, Dave (even though I like Moog)!

Good question as its two very nice filters and wow for a feature set. But its still digital oscillators only and I am sure many will see that as a show stopper for them though the super waves sounds impressive. I would guess that people need to hook it up with VCO's in eurorack format before the analog purists are pleased. Will see how it fares. I still think DSI need to look into new and better DCO designs. But otherwise its quite a wow machine.
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Yes, that will be the issue - VCO's. I certainly would have preferred them myself, perhaps the old hybrid design of both analog and digital oscillators. But, if the Pro 2 does have a high quality sound, it will cut into Moog's market.
Last edited by Sacred Synthesis on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Yes it will. But get yourself a small eurorack modular system with two VCO's and a mixer and interface that to the Pro2. Will be interesting to hear in action! Only downside is waveform selection unless that can be done under CV control via modulators with source DC, target CV Out N and amount dialled in with 127 step resolution.

Planning to save up for a Pro2?
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes, I'm considering selling one of the PEKs to afford the Pro 2. I've been intending to do this for a while, in order to afford some new instrument. But I need to study the Pro 2 more and get a sense of its tone. It hits the mark in so many ways for what I've been looking for. If it sounds really good, I don't see any reason not to buy it. But of course, I'll wait for those cute little bugs to be found and resolved first. I was wondering if the Pro 2 resembled the Prophet 12 enough that many of the bugs might already have been found; but the Pro 2 seems to be more than just one voice of the P12, so perhaps it's right back to square one. What do you think?

I'm imagining a Pro 2 controlling a Vermona Perfourmer Mk. II. Yikes! A lot of analog and a little digital, with a total of eight oscillators and one sub. That sounds just about right. Wake me if I'm dreaming. These are good times for synthesis.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:58 pm

First of all: are you really sure you will sell one of your PEK's given how much you like the instrument?

Well the oscillator section of Pro2 and Prophet 12 do have a lot in common. But Pro2 has many new features such as extra waves, sequencer and the dBBD delay. It will surely take some time before DSI gets it right. Much like there are still unresolved bugs in Prophet 12.

As I have said before it would be a really good idea if you learn to do OS updates yourself. That would allow you to get updates once they are stable enough for your taste. Such as getting wave reset on Prophet '08 if DSI decides to implement it. One day there may even be a good solution for doing updates from a tablet or so. Not that I am going to write one though.

And yes, dream away about a hybrid Pro2/eurorack solution. I am sure it can sound well. Better yet wait for someone to test it out first before deciding.

Also please remember that Pro2 is essentially a one voice Prophet 12 with more waves, much better filters and a sequencer (plus some CV interface candy). Consider listening to some Mutable Instrument demos and use your critical ears on the sound quality versus money front. I mean, I am really impressed with the Pro2 but its still a very expensive one voice keyboard instrument.
dslsynth

Postby dslsynth » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Also with a Prophet 12 module costing $2200 and a Pro2 costing $2000 there is quite a step in feature set and value if you ask me. Those new filters must be really really expensive it seems. Still I am really happy DSI did make this step forward and I look forward to see what the module costs.
dslsynth

Postby cr73645 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:50 am

The price tag is way out....... I think that 1400 would be enough. Having the P12 so close, I can't imagine why would someone invest on this instead.

For what they ask, I think that getting the real thing would be better. The SEM Pro is going for $1100 and it sounds amazing!

Talking about this, I didn't get to hear the SEM filter at all from the current demonstrations. I just think that the filters are pretty close to the previous DSI, and the supposed new Curtis LPF sounds very close to the one on the P12.

My 0.02.
Prophet '08 PE | Little Phatty Stage II | Sub Phatty | Ambika 6xSMR4 | Anushri
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/synthway
cr73645

Postby dslsynth » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Agree that Pro2 is a highly priced synthesizer! And yes one can get some of the same with a MI Shruthi so seen from that point of view the Pro2 is indeed overpriced. I would just love to see the production cost split between keyboard, front panel and voice board as percentages of the full product price. Not that I expect DSI to reveal such data as it may help competitors. Guess it must be an expensive DSP and filter components they put into the Pro2. Agree very much with the idea to put exactly those two filters in the design.
dslsynth

Postby Bald Eagle » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:13 am

The Pro 2 looks interesting. I'm considering it but I have a P12 and I don't know how much difference the new filters will really make. Some of the other features like cv and the sequencer make it appealing.

I would also like to hear a demo sequence in paraphonic mode with the oscillators all doing something different as someone suggested in another forum. That could be interesting.
Bald Eagle

Postby Fuseball » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm very much liking the look (and sound) of the Pro 2. It's hard for me to justify another complex monophonic synth though, when I already have a MEK. I can see it being a choice of one or the other for me. Of course, that may all change when I get to play with one in person. ;-)

I'm certainly intrigued by the filter possibilities. What I love about the MEK is the stereo split of the filters. Whether the Pro 2 can produce a similar wide effect is something I'm not sure of yet.

I am a bit worried that it could be a gateway drug to a modular setup though! Best not tell my wife about that part. :D
Fuseball

Postby Paul Dither » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:48 pm

Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/prophet-08-patches
Paul Dither

Postby dslsynth » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi Fuseball, good to see you in here. Not to worry about the modular addiction. Instead just connect your Pro2 to a Moog or DSI Mopho or Tetra module for extending the Pro2 with analog oscillator sounds via the external input. Also maybe wait until DSI makes a module version for better affordability?

To the best of my knowledge the Pro2 is a mono signal path until the delays are added. Would be cool if the filters could be panned individually but knowing DSI I doubt they have done it so. Essentially its just one voice of a Prophet 12 with better filters, CV control and some software updates (super waves, sequencer, dBBD delay).

Would be so lovely if DSI used something like the Pro2 and Prophet 12 voice architecture for making a true hybrid synthesizer with analog/digital oscillators and the possibility to stack two voices to get stereo filter behaviour when so desired.

@Poptones: Thanks a lot for the demos!
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:55 pm

I happen to know of an expensive way to resolve the lack of stereo on the Pro 2, but I don't want to mention it...again...yet.... :P
Sacred Synthesis

Postby Fuseball » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Sacred Synthesis wrote:I happen to know of an expensive way to resolve the lack of stereo on the Pro 2, but I don't want to mention it...again...yet.... :P

Yes! Stop it! You're in enough trouble as it is suggesting folks double-up on their synths and modules. ;)
Fuseball

Postby dslsynth » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Sacred Synthesis wrote:I happen to know of an expensive way to resolve the lack of stereo on the Pro 2, but I don't want to mention it...again...yet.... :P

What else is new!?

But not to worry! The module version will be a few hundred bugs lighter!

. o O ( :mrgreen: )
dslsynth

Next

Return to Pro 2