New Pro 2 Owner

Information and discussion about the DSI Pro 2.

New Pro 2 Owner

Postby Benzebub » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Just got home with my new Pro 2, have just played with it for an hour or two.

First impressions, very nice! Build quality is excellent, feels really sturdy.
The filters are very different from the old Curtis filter. Very smooth sounding with a nice sizzle to the resonance.
Next to my Mopho x4 they are completely different instruments and none of them have so far cast any shadow on the other.
I will post more of my findings as soon as I start do discover more of this machine and hopefully I will be able to do some recordings as well. :)
If you guys have any questions I will try to answer them as good as possible.
Benzebub

Re: New Pro 2 Owner

Postby dslsynth » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Congratulations with your new instrument, Benzebub! :-)

Question: Do you use Linux? I have this test tool for finding out the parameter positions from NRPN messages but it only runs on Linux.

An exercise: Send Mopho x4 (unison mode, open filters) output into Pro2 to enjoy analog oscillators with the lovely new discrete filters.
dslsynth

Postby Benzebub » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks a lot, dslsynth.

I am running Mac OS X. I have a few Linux virtual machines running for various things, could try to run it on that. :)

Will try that tomorrow! The filters handles the super waves very well so I think it will sound really great.
Benzebub

Postby Benzebub » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Just discovered a neat little trick for using the CV inputs as audio input (yes, the regular audio input works very well but this is trying to take the machine to new places)
Plug the audio in to the CV input.
Set an oscillator to Square wave and set Wave mod to -64 to get a DC signal.
In the mod matrix set the CV input to modulate oscillator level and turn up amount to taste.
Using the headphone output from my iPad, the sound was quite low but still works.

I ran white noise from the Thor synth on the iPad with it's filter fully open and analyzing the sound from the Pro 2 it looks like it can play sounds up to about 10KHz.
Benzebub

Postby Razmo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:23 pm

this is close to this mysterious 11Khz that has been debated heavily on P12 forum... This seems to prove that the 11Khz sample rate going on in the Mod Matrix is correct...
Razmo

Postby Benzebub » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:26 pm

Yes. It certainly seems so. I could not hear any aliasing or distortion so I think they have good converters in this. I will definitely experiment more with this.
Benzebub

Postby Razmo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Benzebub wrote:Yes. It certainly seems so. I could not hear any aliasing or distortion so I think they have good converters in this. I will definitely experiment more with this.

They probably included proper anti aliasing filters on the CV inputs then... wonder if there are such filters on the P12's feedback path... there are a converter after the VCA going back to the DSP, and I wonder if that has a proper anti aliasing filter.
Razmo

Postby Benzebub » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:05 pm

That would be interesting to find out but a bit trickier to test for, since it does not have an audio input.
One way could be a similar setup as mine for audio input with a pulse wave of -64 but controlling the level with another oscillator set up as noise instead of CV and then measure the bandwidth of the signal.
Benzebub

Return to Pro 2