Pro 2 with Prophet 12

Information and discussion about the DSI Pro 2.

Pro 2 with Prophet 12

Postby Bald Eagle » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:10 pm

What are your thoughts about having both the Pro 2 and Prophet 12? Is it worth it? I have the P12 and keep looking at the Pro 2 but just can't justify it yet. There are some nice additions and differences but maybe not enough.

Pro 2 has ...
Pretty much the same oscillators and effects, just a few more wave shapes.
Different filters ... this is a big one.
Audio In ... nice.
CV ... nice but currently of little use to me.
Sequencer ... awesome.
Paraphonic ... can do some interesting things.

What am I missing?
Bald Eagle

Re: Pro 2 with Prophet 12

Postby News From The Sky » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:36 pm

There's also the BBD, but as the Pro 2 is monophonic you can get more or less the same result by buying a separate analog delay, you just won't be able to incorporate it into the P12's modulation matrix.

The filters are pretty big - I'd really like to see DSI release a P12+ with the Pro 2 filter section. Even if it was pretty expensive, I bet it would sell (I'd buy one).

The superwaves you can more or less do via layers (though it would be nice if DSI added more unison modes, 2-6 voice, so that you didn't need to tie up a layer to do this).

There's a chance I'll get a Pro 2 at some point, but I'm waiting to see if they've fixed the sync implementation (crucial on a monosynth) and the delay level bug (max delay level is -8 dB, which means you can't use the delay for stereo width, and since it's a monosynth you can't use the Layer B workaround).
News From The Sky

Postby Martin » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi,

dBBDelay, Oscillator Split Mode, blending between Filters, having a optimized interface for 1 voice. The synergy of knowing the shapes and their apllications from one makes things easier on the other.

Happy Weekend all and use more Sliders eventually Sliderpressure :)
Martin

Postby Bald Eagle » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:14 pm

Thanks to all for the feedback. It's getting more tempting.
Bald Eagle

Postby namnibor » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:12 am

You are talking Solaris $$$ in two synths with similar architecture never mind the filters. I want to play the Pro 2 first and decide because part of me wants a Tempest...not so much for primary percussion but as a synth and it's interface.

I would like to see a "Pro12+" as well that not only had Pro 2 filters but also sequencer....all at the current P12 price. :lol:
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby Razmo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:11 am

namnibor wrote:You are talking Solaris $$$ in two synths with similar architecture never mind the filters. I want to play the Pro 2 first and decide because part of me wants a Tempest...not so much for primary percussion but as a synth and it's interface.

I would like to see a "Pro12+" as well that not only had Pro 2 filters but also sequencer....all at the current P12 price. :lol:

Tempest can be a nice synth addition... but be aware that it does not have free running LFO's if you need that. I know that Pym is looking into this, but he also stated that he do not know if it's possible with the current architecture of the code, so it seems a little uncertain at the moment.

And in response to the thread in genereal:

The filters... that's basicaly the only thing that has me wanting the Pro 2 when I already have a P12... There are some neat other things in there like the CV I/O, the Superwaves and sequencer, but other than that nothing to lure me really. I've redecited on the keyboard version because 31 octaves is too little for a master keyboard. But I might get one if it comes out as a module version.
Razmo

Postby Bald Eagle » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Razmo wrote:The filters... that's basicaly the only thing that has me wanting the Pro 2 when I already have a P12... There are some neat other things in there like the CV I/O, the Superwaves and sequencer, but other than that nothing to lure me really. I've redecited on the keyboard version because 31 octaves is too little for a master keyboard. But I might get one if it comes out as a module version.

I would jump on a module version exactly for those reasons. But the control surface would have to be more robust than what was done with the P12 module, especially for the sequencer. I will take one for $1300 to $1500 or so.
Bald Eagle

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:40 pm

It all depends on the type of music you make. If you like the sound of the Prophet 12 for polyphonic uses, and the sound of the Pro 2 for primarily monophonic uses, than the two would work wonderfully together for you. If they're both fine instruments in your opinion, then why do they have to be different from each other at all? Synthesists tend to want such a wide gamut of sound at their disposal that even a little repetition is intolerable. But the synthesizer itself - almost any synthesizer - already offers such a vast sonic range. I realize my opinions are not typical of folks on these forums, but I would honestly be entirely happy with several units of only one instrument, as long as that one instrument was satisfactory in my opinion. I'd be happy with four Prophet '08s or four Poly Evolvers and nothing else. In fact, I'd love to find non multi-tracked recordings or videos of all-P'08 or all-PEK music.

If you like both instruments and you could use both of them, then don't think twice about the repetition. Yes, the two instruments are very similar, but don't you have two hands that will be playing them both at the same time? Good sound is good sound. The two synthesizers would also look fabulous together.
Last edited by Sacred Synthesis on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby Razmo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:04 am

Bald Eagle wrote:
Razmo wrote:The filters... that's basicaly the only thing that has me wanting the Pro 2 when I already have a P12... There are some neat other things in there like the CV I/O, the Superwaves and sequencer, but other than that nothing to lure me really. I've redecited on the keyboard version because 31 octaves is too little for a master keyboard. But I might get one if it comes out as a module version.

I would jump on a module version exactly for those reasons. But the control surface would have to be more robust than what was done with the P12 module, especially for the sequencer. I will take one for $1300 to $1500 or so.

That's actualy one of the things that has me wondering if a module version will eve be... the sequencer takes up way too much space on a module, if the interface for the rest is to be there as well like on the P12 module... I actualy like the P12 inteface, but it would have to be more compact if the seq. is to be there as well... I saw Pym sternly refuse to implement the Po 2 seq. on P12 on the other forum, because it would be crippled using just the OLED... I don't agree with him on that one though, but it's enough to have me doubt we'll ever see a module version of the Pro 2.

but who knows... maybe Dave will conjure up something smart, we'll just have to wait and see... but I'm not getting one, unless it comes in a module version, or with a bigger keybed... preferably a minimum of 61 keys, but I doubt we'll see that.
Razmo

Postby MiniDX » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:19 am

Bald Eagle wrote:What are your thoughts about having both the Pro 2 and Prophet 12? Is it worth it? I have the P12 and keep looking at the Pro 2 but just can't justify it yet. There are some nice additions and differences but maybe not enough.

Pro 2 has ...
Pretty much the same oscillators and effects, just a few more wave shapes.
Different filters ... this is a big one.
Audio In ... nice.
CV ... nice but currently of little use to me.
Sequencer ... awesome.
Paraphonic ... can do some interesting things.

What am I missing?

Imho, a pro2 + P12 + Tempest would be one of the best combo possible. I already have a tempest and the pro-2 is coming in a few days. I'm probably going to get a prophet 12 next year to achieve that. I'll get the module i guess because i'll use the pro-2 keyboard and i can't really afford prophet 12 kb so easily.

Also, if you have the prophet 12 kb already, i'd rather wait for the pro-2 module.
MiniDX

Postby Razmo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:01 pm

IF... we'll see a Pro 2 module... :)
Razmo

Postby MiniDX » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Every DSI instrument have their module version. It's coming 100%. I could bet my balls on that.
MiniDX

Postby Razmo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:27 pm

MiniDX wrote:Every DSI instrument have their module version. It's coming 100%. I could bet my balls on that.

Well I hope you're right... both because I want one, and for your balls sake :lol:
Razmo

Return to Pro 2