bulk dump ?

Information and discussion about the DSI Tempest.

bulk dump ?

Postby guy smiley » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:31 pm

I'm trying to work out how best to back up my entire Tempest so that I can download a load of sounds, import them and then revert to previous state if I don't use them.
From what I can tell in order to do this I have to save each sound as well as each project, as many of the sounds aren't nested within a beat ? or am I missing something ? can i save a folders worth of sounds in any way ?
guy smiley

Re: bulk dump ?

Postby Razmo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:55 pm

As far as I understand, Each Beat has all of it's 32 sounds "built in", so that if you dump a beat, it also include all 32 sounds of that beat... also if they were edited.
Razmo

Postby guy smiley » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:07 pm

ah ok. i've been re-reading the manual and double checking. so every single sound must be in a beat somewhere ? i only have 13 beats, but loads of sounds somehow
guy smiley

Postby Razmo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:32 pm

guy smiley wrote:ah ok. i've been re-reading the manual and double checking. so every single sound must be in a beat somewhere ? i only have 13 beats, but loads of sounds somehow

You have to understand how the Tempest's memory is laid out to understand this.

There are two different types of memory... one is the Flash memory, which is sort of like a "Hard Drive" where you can store Projects, Beats and Sounds.. The number of files you can store is limited only by the amount of memory left. This Flash memory is sort of like your "files cabinett".

Then there are the working RAM... this is the Tempest's "working space" for what is currently active (loaded)... it can hold one Project, 16 Beats and 512 Sounds (32 sounds * 16 Beats). Anything in this working RAM is wiped out, if you turn off your Tempest, unless you stored all or some of it's contents en the Flash Memory first (mentioned above).

When you grasp that concept, it's easy to understand the Export features. The Tempest allow you to Export from both Flash RAM and Working RAM. What you want to do is make a backup of the Whole Flash RAM.

In the manual it is described how to do this:

To Export a Sound/Beat/Project from Flash over MIDI:

1. Connect Tempest to the receiving device (computer running MIDI application,
dedicated hardware sequencer, etc.) using either USB or a MIDI
interface. If using a MIDI interface, connecting Tempest’s MIDI out to the
device’s MIDI in is sufficient for exporting.

2. Press Save/Load, choose Export saved file over MIDI (Sound/Beat/Project),
and press the Next Soft Key.

3. Choose the Type, Folder, and File to export.

4. Choose the destination (MIDI and/or USB).

5. Enable the receiving device to receive and record SysEx.

6. Press the Export Now Soft Key.

7. The device records the SysEx data, which can then be named and saved for
backup and importing into Tempest.

8. Press the Again Soft Key to export another file or Save/Load to exit.

This does not automaticaly dump the whole Flash RAM contents though, so you'd have to dump each and every file individualy to do what you want. It seems though, that a feature to dump all at once has been made later... it is described in the OS 1.3 addendum like this:

Export Multiple Files for Data Backup

The Export File Over MIDI function (in the Save/Load menu) now has the
ability to export multiple files over MIDI or USB in a single action. This can be
handy for backing up many or all of your Tempest files to a system exclusive
librarian application on your computer. Note that Tempest sends the multiple files
sequentially, one after another, and that system exclusive librarian applications
will capture all the files as one large system exclusive dump.

When Tempest exports a file, its location in Tempest’s flash memory is remembered
within the file. When you later reload the file, it will be loaded into its
original location, overwriting any file in the same folder having the same name.

New in Version 1.2 11
The new Soft Knob 4 has 4 options:

• File: Select a single file (default setting)

• Folder: Select all files in the selected folder for export.

• Type: Select all folders in the selected Type (sound, beat or project) and
all files within those folders for export.

• All: Select all files and folders for export.

For example, if you select “All”, all files of all types in all folders will be
exported in one step. A system exclusive librarian application on your computer
should be used to capture the entire dump as one large system exclusive file. In
the unlikely event of a Tempest failure that causes all data to be lost (or to load
the same data into another Tempest), you can send the same file to the Tempest
from your system exclusive librarian application.

Note: When sending a large, multi-file system exclusive dump to Tempest from
your system exclusive librarian, you should set your the librarian’s settings to
include a one-second pause between individual system exclusive messages (the
sound, beat or project files). This will insure that Tempest has enough time to
respond to each new file in the received system exclusive data stream.

So... you should be able to do what you want, but you may have to work a little to figure out how to do it.

I cannot help you more than this, as I don't have a Tempest myself yet... but I think I've read enough to say for sure, that you can do what you want.

But please note what is said last in that last quote... you HAVE to make sure that when sending the many dumps back to the Tempest, that the software you use will insert a 1sec. delay in between each individual SysEx message... otherwise the Tempest would not be able to follow, and you end up with an overrun.
Razmo

Postby guy smiley » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:48 am

That's brilliant. Thanks Razmo. That addendum relating to the latest OS was what I was missing, and does indeed solve my problem.
Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed answer. Hope you get your Tempest soon !
guy smiley

Return to Tempest