New album with lots of Tempest!

Information and discussion about the DSI Tempest.

New album with lots of Tempest!

Postby natrixgli » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi There!

My band, Low Voltage Rangers, is releasing our second LP tomorrow but you can hear it today via Bandcamp. I used the hell out of the Tempest on almost every song, but songs "Around The Greenbox" and "Something Beautiful" were done almost entirely on the Tempest. I think the Tempest was used on more than half the songs!

I also used lots of Teenage Engineering OP-1, an Evolver, an Arturia Microbrute (for the solo in Greenbox), and the Elektron Monomachine & Machinedrum. I think you'll dig it!

The Tempest does really nice to beef up regular drums, and is a real fun synth to jam on and come up with ideas.

http://lowvoltagerangers.bandcamp.com/album/automata

Check it out if you can!
natrixgli

Re: New album with lots of Tempest!

Postby chysn » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:28 pm

Thank you! You guys have a great sound. This is going to be the next thing that I listen to over and over.
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Postby chysn » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:30 pm

By the way, could you please point out where the OP-1 is used? That thing might be a bit pricey, but I've always been intrigued by it.
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Postby natrixgli » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks! As for the OP-1, I used it quite a bit -

Song #3 En Guard! is almost entirely OP-1. The beats are a combination of built in drum sounds and a kit I made from the Monomachine, there's 3 beats layered which were done with the Endless sequencer. The bassline is OP-1 FM synth, the plucked sound is the OP-1 String synth, and the sort of brassy/stringy sounding part is the OP-1 Cluster engine. The rest is acoustic guitar and vocals. (except the strums in the verse which I did in garageband on my iPad 'cause I can't play guitar!)

Song #8 Something Beautiful main beat is a Tempest beat recorded into the OP-1 and chopped up with the drum sampler, then re-sequenced with the endless sequencer.

Song #9 Sad As You / Automata has beats and synths from an OP-1, as well as an OP-1 drum loop run through the Ableton Resonator FX. The tape rewind noises were done on the OP-1 as well. (by reversing the drum beat with the blue knob)

Song #10 How To Say Goodbye has a little arpeggio from the OP-1 after the first verse.
natrixgli

Return to Tempest