What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Information and discussion about the DSI Tempest.

What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby natrixgli » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Individual voice outputs work differently than you may expect.

- The 6 individual voice outputs are not freely assignable individual outs. Rather they are a direct output of the 6 individual synthesizer voices.
- When you plug a cable into a voice output, the corresponding voice will no longer play via the main stereo outputs or headphone jack.
- Individual voice outputs bypass the distortion and compressor.
- You can assign individual sounds (pads) to play only on a specific voice, which gives you control over which output that sound will come out of.
- If you have not assigned your sounds to specific voices, they will rotate between the 6 outputs in the order they are played. (not ideal for multi-tracking!)
- The voice outputs are TRS stereo connectors, therefore you may want to use either a stereo to mono adapter or a Y cable.
- However if you use a mono cable, pan your sound(s) all the way to the left.

Feedback returns via the left channel only.

- Using the feedback will send the output back into the Tempest via the left channel.
- Therefore if your sound is panned all the way to the right, you won't hear the feedback effect.

Chromatic MIDI data can only be sent to one sound at a time.

- The Tempest can receive chromatic data via MIDI to one sound at a time.
- This is called "MIDI Polyphonic Keyboard Play" in the System menu
- If the sound (pad) you have selected is not locked to a single voice, it's max polyphony is the number of currently unassigned voices.
- While you can play chords, the sequencer will not record them, rather only records one note at a time.
- You can assign MIDI Pitch Wheel and Modulation Wheel to control parameters via the mod matrix

Exiting the System Menu without stopping playback

- If you exit the System menu by pressing the System button, your beat will stop playing back.
- Exiting the menu by pressing another button will not stop playback. (i.e. Screens > Sounds, Pads, etc.)

The Delay is MIDI, not audio. Using it will consume voice(s)

- The Delay on the Tempest simply repeats triggered notes at the intervals specified by the user.
- Because the actual MIDI note is repeating, this can affect your voice count.
- Notes triggered by the sequencer appear to take priority over notes triggered by the MIDI Delay.
- It's unclear whether release times of the sound on which the Delay has been activated takes priority over Delay repeats. (testing needed)
- It's unclear whether Delay repeats use the same voice as the source sound or if they rotate like usual. (testing needed)

MIDI parameter control is not available except in Beta OS versions. Knobs/sliders do not send MIDI.

- The knobs and sliders in the Tempest do not send MIDI CC/NRPN
- Sounds in the Tempest cannot receive MIDI CC except for pitch and mod wheel as assigned in the MOD MATRIX.
- Limited MIDI CC is available for a handful of beatwide parameters as of Beta OS 1.3.1.6
- Available MIDI CCs are:
- - - CC# 12 - Distortion
- - - CC# 13 - Compression
- - - CC# 19 - a value other than 0 reverts Beat FX params to defaults
- - - CC# 20 - Beat FX All Osc Frequency
- - - CC# 21 - Beat FX Feedback
- - - CC# 22 - Beat FX Lowpass Filter Cutoff
- - - CC# 23 - Beat FX Lowpass Filter Resonance
- - - CC# 24 - Beat FX Lowpass Filter Audio Mod
- - - CC# 25 - Beat FX Highpass Filter Cutoff
- - - CC# 26 - Beat FX All Env Attack
- - - CC# 27 - Beat FX All Env Decay

What else do you think every new Tempest owner should know?
Last edited by natrixgli on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
natrixgli
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby Benzebub » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:44 pm

Mentioned in the manual but feeding back an envelope to it's own decay or release will change it's curve. Really practical and good to know for making snappy sounds.

This page also has a lot of good information: http://stimresp.wordpress.com/tempest-recipes/

These are a few of the things that got me started a few months ago when I bought mine.
Benzebub
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby Razmo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:33 pm

I've got a question.... but first a big thanks for this information... even if I helped myself to most of this information prior to this topic, it took some time to gather it all, so it's nice to see it all in one place.

Before my question I can add a few things:

1. There is no MIDI NRPN/CC control (yet?)
2. There are no SysEx request strings for requesting dumps from the Tempest
3. The SysEx dumps that the Tempest sends, has been said to be in a packed format making it harder to make editors for it.

and now my question:

The Delay function... how exactly does it work with relation to voice allocation?

I understand, that it's basicaly what you would call a "MIDI Delay", retriggering voices with lower volumes to achieve the effect... but since it's retriggering a voice, then WHAT voice will it retrigger?

I asume that if the sound you put delay on is not assigned to a specific voice, that the delayed triggerings would probably be using the voices in a cycle mode, using the avaiable free non-assigned voices for the delay? ... I cannot see that it would work any other way, but I'm not 100% certain.

And what if the voice delayed is assigned to a voice? ... will the delay then only utilize that exact same voice for the delay effect? ... or will the delay in this case also utilize the free voices?

I hope someone can explain this for me, because with only 6 voices available, I'm a bit worried as to how useful this Delay is when a lot is going on.
User avatar
Razmo
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby xanax » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:49 am

the delay is a joke.. barely useful (since yea it'll cripple voices) & sounds terrible imo..

other limitations to note: the LFO's are not free-running so no slow modulation possibilities on drum sounds & the sequencer is monophonic so it won't record a chord in one pass
xanax
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:13 am

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby Razmo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:06 am

I'd still ike to know how the Delay trigger it's notes though, to better understand how it is limiting :)
User avatar
Razmo
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby xanax » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:09 am

it's a midi delay, in the mixer section you choose what sound gets effected. once the voices are maxed out notes will drop in the same way that if you were to play the delay effect manually..
xanax
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:13 am

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby Razmo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 am

xanax wrote:it's a midi delay, in the mixer section you choose what sound gets effected. once the voices are maxed out notes will drop in the same way that if you were to play the delay effect manually..


So... if the sound you're delaying, are tied to a specific voice, then the delays will only happen on that one voice? ... or are delays always being done via the nonassigned voices?

I'm currious to know this because the delay would be a little more useful, if an assigned voice, would also only use that one voice for the delay.

If the delay always use the unassigned voices, I would say that the delay is quite limited... I'm also not sure what has priority... if there is one voice left, and the engine need to play both a new sound, and a delay from a previous sound, then what get's priority I'm wondering... the delayed sound or the new sound?

I'm probably asking complex questions here... but I'm just trying to figure out how much can be done with the Tempest regarding delay if I were to use it without the individual outs, only using the stereo outs.

...but it seems that I'll not be off very well without using the ind. outs... my intuition tells me that...
User avatar
Razmo
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby Benzebub » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:33 am

Razmo wrote:
xanax wrote:it's a midi delay, in the mixer section you choose what sound gets effected. once the voices are maxed out notes will drop in the same way that if you were to play the delay effect manually..


So... if the sound you're delaying, are tied to a specific voice, then the delays will only happen on that one voice? ... or are delays always being done via the nonassigned voices?

I'm currious to know this because the delay would be a little more useful, if an assigned voice, would also only use that one voice for the delay.

If the delay always use the unassigned voices, I would say that the delay is quite limited... I'm also not sure what has priority... if there is one voice left, and the engine need to play both a new sound, and a delay from a previous sound, then what get's priority I'm wondering... the delayed sound or the new sound?

I'm probably asking complex questions here... but I'm just trying to figure out how much can be done with the Tempest regarding delay if I were to use it without the individual outs, only using the stereo outs.

...but it seems that I'll not be off very well without using the ind. outs... my intuition tells me that...


I just tried setting up a simple patch with a slow pitch envelope and it sounds to me that it retriggers the same voice. Tried both with assigning a voice and without and did not hear any difference.
Benzebub
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby xanax » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:42 am

i just really wouldn't count/bother with the midi delay, it sounds awful to my ears.. it's really a gimmick imo and probably tempest's weakest aspect, then again i'm pretty spoiled by my RE-201 space echo & UAD plugs.. that being said the answer to your question seems the rely in the dynamic voice allocation.. perhaps go over the voice assign section in tempest manual for better understanding..
xanax
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:13 am

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby Benzebub » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 am

xanax wrote:i just really wouldn't count/bother with the midi delay, it sounds awful to my ears.. it's really a gimmick imo and probably tempest's weakest aspect, then again i'm pretty spoiled by my RE-201 space echo & UAD plugs.. that being said the answer to your question seems the rely in the dynamic voice allocation.. perhaps go over the voice assign section in tempest manual for better understanding..

Hadn't played around with it before myself.
Compared to a regular delay this does not sound very good but with velocity amount on the envelopes this can be used as a variation of the roll feature.
Benzebub
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby Razmo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:07 am

I just thought that it might be useful, if it retriggers the same voice on an assigned sound, and the direct note get's firs priority... I know it'll not be as good as a true delay, but if the delay feature insert volume changed copies of the sound ind between the direct notes, and the direct sound is always first priority, that it could be a bit useful in giving some ambient like effect to a drumsound.... but it's only pure speculation, as I've not gotten my Tempest yet to try it out... just currious.

I'll probably use the individual outs anyway, because I'd be missing spatial effects on some drumssounds, like Crashes, Snares and SFX, and the Tempest has no chorusing features that I know of.
User avatar
Razmo
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby k4d4w3r » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:15 am

Midi delays are overally very usefull if done right... the only thing I can tel that in T it's not done right...:)
k4d4w3r
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:05 am

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby xanax » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:24 am

yea the delay algorithm inside tempest is just weak.. i know it may sound useful in theory but in practice it sounds more like a retrig/roll then a delay.. and of course the major downside is that it cripples your voice limit rather quickly. the individual outs are really there for that purpose and are vital imo for proper mixing, EQing and signal processing..
xanax
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:13 am

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby natrixgli » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:06 pm

xanax wrote:yea the delay algorithm inside tempest is just weak.. i know it may sound useful in theory but in practice it sounds more like a retrig/roll then a delay.. and of course the major downside is that it cripples your voice limit rather quickly. the individual outs are really there for that purpose and are vital imo for proper mixing, EQing and signal processing..


So does anyone know if the MIDI delay retriggers the same voice or if it uses the same round robin method as regular sequencer triggers do? I think voice triggers take priority over delay repeats 'cause I know in playing around with it I've had to watch my voice count if I wanted to hear the effect. Either way I'll add it to the top.
natrixgli
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby natrixgli » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Benzebub wrote:Mentioned in the manual but feeding back an envelope to it's own decay or release will change it's curve. Really practical and good to know for making snappy sounds.

This page also has a lot of good information: http://stimresp.wordpress.com/tempest-recipes/

These are a few of the things that got me started a few months ago when I bought mine.


That's good info, but I'm thinking more like odd feature implementations, limitations. More of a FAQ than a how-to. Getting into sound design is a whole other territory ;)
natrixgli
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby Razmo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:33 pm

xanax wrote:Dude you have an unhealthy obsession with midi CC/Sysex.. you're starting to worry me :shock:


Don't worry.. it's me who should worry :lol:

MIDI SysEx is just a big part of the way my studio works and is set up... that's why.
User avatar
Razmo
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby guy smiley » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:35 pm

natrixgli wrote:- However if you use a mono cable, pan your sound(s) all the way to the left.

Thanks for this especially. Despite it being explained. It took your straightforward language for me to finally understand.. cheers (and 'DOH')
guy smiley
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Re: What Every New Tempest Owner Should Know...

Postby chysn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi, all, quick note about this topic. The topic creator asked that it be made "sticky" so that new Tempest owners can refer to it. I noticed that several posts had been edited by the author to "Removed," and then there were various posts that referred to these edited posts and to the thread in general. So I removed posts that had no content. I should emphasize that I'm committed to not censoring conversations, so I don't remove anything lightly. In this case, it's clear that the community was attempting to stay on topic, and I simply facilitated this.
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:58 am
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, USA


Return to Tempest



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron