Emulating 303 on Tempest

Information and discussion about the DSI Tempest.

Emulating 303 on Tempest

Postby k4d4w3r » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:40 am

Hi guys,
First of all thanks for those that tried to bring comunity back!
Secondly I still plan to moan about some flows in T's Seq and some other things (Just to keep tradition;) but not in this Topic so please read it to the END.
And I still wish DSI would be more informative on what's happening with T's updates.

But to the topic.
I thought that I would be willing to share some tips, tricks and thoughts on programing T as I still won't even think of selling it and it's still one of my favourite machines out there.
Things described below are my initial thoughts and tries on emulating 303 on T. I know that almost everybody tried to accomplish this so maybe our collective mind will perfect everything at last.
So... Trying to faithfully emulate 303 behaviour and sound is not such an easy task as it seems from the first look and really You can't emulate 303 100% on any machine, but we can try to be as precise as it's possible.
So my initial experiment and thoughts:
1.) set OSC 1 to 100% and to SAW or PULSE wave.
303 have only one OSC, and of course we won't be able to emulate it's waves completely because they are not so standard ones. For example 303's Square is not 50%, but smth like 44-48%... Also I found that in my emulation TRI/SAW wave sounded somewhat better (more acid) then ordinary SAW.
2.) Filter in 303 is special one. It's not 18db/oct as speculated in net but 24db/oct made from transistor ladder wired as diods + with fixed HP filter in feedback resonance path that makes resonance not linear and frequency and amount dependant.
Also 303 Filter never selfoscilates (if not modded of course).
We just cant emulate this completely, but to be as precise as possible my sugestion was to set LP to 4pole mode, reso - from 0 to max at 80-90 (just at the edge before self oscilation), no keytracking, HP filter set to 4-5 just to try to emulate a little bit lack of low bass in 303, and add a little bit of feedback. Of course that not a complete 303 sound but for some setings it can be rather similar.
3.) VCA is nothing really special so we'll just skip here.
4.) Envelopes and mod matrix.
This is the place where everything start to be more complicated and interesting. Real 303 has 2 env, and a special "Accent" circuit that make everything look like there's more then 2 envelopes there.
So. 1st is Filter envelope. It has a rather sharp attack (around 3msec), exponential decay fomr 200msec and to 2-3 seconds. Also, envelope amount in 303 is never 0...Enevelope always effect filter even if the effect is very slight. The firs thing we should do is to bend envelope to have smth like exponential response.
For that we go to the mod matrix and set source of modulation filter env and as a destination decay. Set the amount somewhere around 30-40... Just on ear is enough.
It's also good thing to set the same thing for VCA envelope not to fiddle again with it latter, as it also has a sharp attack, rather long decay and exponential response.
For the filter Env set amount to smth like 4-8. So it'll behave like in original 303 alway having some effect to the VCF.
2nd. VCA env. We already set it to have exponential curve. SO now we'll just fiddle with it a bit. Set the attack time to 2-3, just to eliminate that 0msec click. Set the decay around 60-80 depending on your taste. Amount around 64 and no velocity sensitivite. BTW. VCF Envelope also shouldn't respond to velocity in any way.
3rd. Accent - In real 303 during accented notes Filter envelope do several things at once. a) it cuts the decay control from the panel and sets it to 200msec.
b) signal from filter envelope doubles trough special Accent circuit where its modified to have slower attack and it looks like the sea wave and then routed to VCA and again to VCF, to make that special WOW. We should also note here that in real 303 res pot has also smth to do with accent cuircuit, but here I'm a little bit lost as I don't have real 303 to check that.
Anyway... to try to emulate this behavioure we'll set AUX1 env to have slower attack and rather sharp decay (both parameters set to smth like 15-30 made it for me) and through mod matrix we take 2 slots to route signal from AUX env to LP cuttoff and VCA. Amount set to 0.
Now we take 2 more modulation slots to set Velocity to modulate amount of aux envelope to VCF and VCA this to slots will act as Accent pot on 303. It's a pitty of course that we cant have some kind of macro knobs to conviniently set it to act as this accent. but any way.
Now we can say that we emulated envelope behaviour of 303 including this accent cuircuit. as I've said earlier it's not 100% emulation but it'll do the thing to get that acid sounds.
And this part is one of 2 cruicial things to emulate 303.
The other one is sequencer and glide that also add enourmous amount of that funkiness to 303.
Of course we can't do anything to T sequencer (doh) and it won't give You that polyrythms that are crucial for acid. And also legato and glide do not work in T at all (although mentioned in manual) But I found a little work around for that. It won't give You abilities to have all 303 quirks but for some things it's better then nothing.
1st of all, some planing. As Glide in tempest doesn't work we'll use pitch envelope instead.
Set decay, sustain and release to max. then we'll fiddle with delay and attack settings.
Glide in 303 is time dependant and linear. This is the first thing to remember. It's length is 1|16 note. Always.
And the second thing to remember is that it starts just at the start of the step following glided one.
To have glides to different note we should set amount of the pitch env to Sound FX slider as +/- 127 (or 64, T is not near me now so I can't check exactly) just to have in sequencer for FX control setting when You use +1, +5, +7 etc values as an ending note for the glide. then in sequencer just enter some notes to be 1|8th and set delay and attack times of pitch envelope to be somewhere around 1|16 note.
Of course it's tempo dependant so I won't give You exact values here.
After all this preparations made we can start programing T sequencer to act 303like.
We have several point's here. a) set 0 velocity to act as normal note (not enabling aux env) set velocity 100-127 as accented notes (here we can also emulate 303 behaviour when in fast following accented notes each time accent has slightly higher effect on sound).For unglided notes we set duration around 8 (maybe someone will correct me on this) and for ties and glides duration set to 16. (envelopes set to ADSR mode).
To enable glide just set the required note using FX slider.
To make this a little bit more preformance friendly You can also set one of the slider to Filter Env ammount from 0 to desired value (as alway tune by ear) So it wont be needed to alter base amount setting and slider will work as EnvAmount control on 303.

I'm sorry for a bit messy description :) Maybe some one can orgonise everything better after discussions.

Cheers.
k4d4w3r

Re: Emulating 303 on Tempest

Postby k4d4w3r » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:13 pm

No comments at all???
k4d4w3r

Postby guy smiley » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:58 pm

Interresting read, thanks for posting.,tbh I'm spending all my time trying to discover new drum sounds at present, and would more likely use another of my synths to try for an acid sound. I'd be veery interested to hear a quick clip of your resultant sound though ?
guy smiley

Postby goldphinga » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:47 pm

Big thanks for this will try it out when im back in the studio. Really appreciate the insight.
goldphinga

Postby k4d4w3r » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:44 am

I'll try to make some video with the phone and attach sysex of some template beat... It's easier for me now then to record audio :) And with sysex it'll be more interesting to T owners
k4d4w3r

Postby hazabikit » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm

guy smiley wrote:tbh I'm spending all my time trying to discover new drum sounds at present

Me too -- I can see why someone would want to emulate a 303, but it's not on my radar at the moment.
Tempest #0769
hazabikit

Postby k4d4w3r » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:21 pm

I perform this kind of experiments not to have some new sounds mainly, but to train my knowledge of the machine, creativity and lateral (non standart) thinking while programming:) when you do such mind trainings its more easy then to program other things because you free yourself from that vc0-vcf-vca 1envelope each paradigm.
And tempest is a very flexible open architecture synth.
k4d4w3r

Postby k4d4w3r » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:08 pm

Here's a little example bit with 303 sound and sequence on A16. Just for Your further experimentations and discussions.
Video is now uploading so it'll be available a bit latter.
Attachments
303TEST.syx
(7.15 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
k4d4w3r

Postby k4d4w3r » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:42 pm

k4d4w3r

Postby guy smiley » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Nice ! Shit I had no idea how close you'd be. That is a great acid sound ! Nice programming dude .
guy smiley

Postby guy smiley » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:57 pm

k4d4w3r wrote:Here's a little example bit with 303 sound and sequence on A16. Just for Your further experimentations and discussions.
Video is now uploading so it'll be available a bit latter.

And thanks for the sysex. Always greatly received. A good way to learn through reverse engineering . I'm still languishing in kick drum land at the moment ! Lol
guy smiley

Postby k4d4w3r » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Theres One kick there too just in case
k4d4w3r

Postby guy smiley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:32 pm

k4d4w3r wrote:Theres One kick there too just in case
:D
guy smiley

Postby xanax » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:43 pm

k4d4w3r wrote:http://youtu.be/o2upR2VTAO4

:o wow that's awesome.. you got slides & accent going on !!
sounds a little complicated to achieve but mad props for getting there..
xanax

Postby k4d4w3r » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:12 pm

xanax, sysex attached, So You can just save that as a template and tweek to taste... :) but the main thing of course is seq programing. It's a pitty that sound FX don't save with sound, so You'll have to make then a new for each beat.
k4d4w3r

Postby jfrank » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:25 pm

saw the video result and much appreciated the technical approach to the synthesis // will download the sysex once i clear up existing projects. good work!
jfrank

Postby k4d4w3r » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:35 pm

k4d4w3r

Postby william » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:47 pm

great stuff, been at bass sounds atm so this is also an excellent platform to work from

thanks
william

Postby k4d4w3r » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:53 pm

You're welcome:)
k4d4w3r

Postby hazabikit » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Here's my starting place for building kicks:

http://stimresp.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/tempest-recipes-bass-drums-part-i/

Stimresp wrote a couple of recipes for 808 and 909 kicks, but there's no reason to stop there.
Tempest #0769
hazabikit

Next

Return to Tempest