What's your method/workflow?

Information and discussion about the DSI Tempest.

What's your method/workflow?

Postby garynotgary » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:18 am

Hey everyone,
I've been testing different workflows for recording the tempest, and I was wondering what you guys do. I'm curious to see if I'm missing out on a better method.

Currently, I'm demoing songs so I'm using the stereo mix out of tempest, but I want to go back and separate the voices for a more precise mix. It would be great if I could record a performance with midi and I could isolate sounds to track them individually. I'm getting the feeling that the tempest doesn't lend itself to that sort of workflow though.

So what do you guys do? How to you allocate voices? record midi? use the playlist function with your daw? ect...

Thanks
garynotgary

Re: What's your method/workflow?

Postby hazabikit » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:39 pm

I don't have a structured workflow, and so far, it's working for me.

Don't get me wrong -- when I'm at work, I love creating structured workflows, because it reduces wasted time and effort.

However, I'm still discovering how to make the Tempest do what I want it to do, so all my mistakes are useful.

As a result, my workflow is a combination of "control everything", all the way down to programming each individual number in each step in the sequencer, and "push buttons and twist knobs to see what happens".

Yes, after going down a lot of rabbit holes I end up re-loading my projects a lot.
I've learned that progress can be slow, but it's still progress.
Tempest #0769
hazabikit

Postby Clipper » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:57 am

Changes over Time. Recently : Creating Drums and layering them, then sampling to Octatrack. Then using it as 4 voice Poly on the main plus 2 monosynths on the Voices. Sending midi from 16 tunings to play interesting scales midiwise into the Octa. I mean seriously, the Tempest is a Chameleon, one with character on Top.
Never ever, ever will sell it ( although probably for Tempest 2 UW :lol: )
Clipper

Postby guy smiley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Clipper wrote:Sending midi from 16 tunings to play interesting scales midiwise into the Octa.

Really ? But the Octra already has something pretty similar with it's arpeggio scale function though right ? Intrigued anyway. I haven't even used that mode on the Tempest yet. Octratrak & Tempest though. Phew, love these two boxes
guy smiley

Return to Tempest