Mimicking a TR-606 snare... with science!

Information and discussion about the DSI Tempest.

Mimicking a TR-606 snare... with science!

Postby Leviathant » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:04 am

A couple of weeks ago, a new Tempest owner asked about making analog snare drums. I had tried my hand at a DR-110 snare a few months ago, and ended up taking it past those parameters and making a harder hitting and more versatile snare drum voice. This time around though, I'm sticking to parameters and emulating the snare from my TR-606.

Once again taking a cue from the Roland AIRA teaser videos, I'm using Visual Analyser 2011 to run active oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers while I mess with the tuning and envelopes for this patch, so it ends up sounding pretty close. As I'd done with my DR-110 snare, I'd recommend that once you've dialed this patch in, you start messing with parameters and take it to the next level. I love my 606, but those sounds are a couple of decades old. You can take it further than that, but first, we should get started making some noise.

The first thing I needed to do was get the sound of the drum, and not the snare. To help isolate that, I ran my 606 through a lowpass filter, which made the fundamental frequency (about 200hz) easier to isolate on the spectrum analyzer.

Rather than get too narrative on the process of figuring things out, I'll skip to the settings:
Osc 1: Triangle, Osc1/2 Mix 100/0, Frequency G#2, Fine Freq -26
Osc 2: Off
Osc 3: Resonant 4k Noise, Level 60, Freq 0, FF 0, Pre-Post Filter: 44/56
Osc 4: Off
LP Freq: 52
Resonance: 22
HP Freq: 21
Pitch Envelope: n/a
LP Envelope: A:0, D:59, Amt: 18
Amp Envelope: A: 6, D: 50, Amt: 127
Aux1 Envelope: A: 0, D: 13, Amt: 26, Destination: Osc 3 Level
Aux2 Envelope: A: 6, D: 20, Amt: -127, Destination: Osc 1/2 Mix
LFO 1: Rate 71, Amt 22, Destination Osc 3 Frequency, Restart Off

Mod Matrix: (for envelope shaping)
Amp Env > 31 > Amp Evn Decay
Aux 2 Env > -38 > Aux 2 Env Decay

With these settings, I have a snare drum that pretty closely approximates the un-accented snare coming out of my 606. It's not a perfect copy, but it's enough to get you close, and definitely a great place to launch more unusual analog snare sounds.

Red is the 606, green is the Tempest

One thing you can't see in this standalone image is that there appears to be a harmonic frequency at 250hz (sloping down to 600hz) on the 606 that oscillates in and out very slowly, making that peak in the low end a lot fatter. It takes about 30 seconds to cycle. I'm not sure what's going on there but I can't really be bothered to emulate it.
Leviathant

Re: Mimicking a TR-606 snare... with science!

Postby xanax » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:49 am

Leviathant wrote:One thing you can't see in this standalone image is that there appears to be a harmonic frequency at 250hz (sloping down to 600hz) on the 606 that oscillates in and out very slowly, making that peak in the low end a lot fatter. It takes about 30 seconds to cycle. I'm not sure what's going on there but I can't really be bothered to emulate it.

very interesting! i recently purchased a 606 and one thing i noticed immediately was that the snare sound varies subtly on each hit (this becomes very noticeable when applying some long tail reverb at slower tempo). i'm guessing this must be that slow oscillating frequency. i think this is actually the coolest thing about the 606 as it sort of makes the sound alive and not static like sample based drums, one of the charms of analog synthesis. unfortunately i'm not sure if Tempest LFOs could move so slowly? i know P12/P2 have slew rates capable of very slow sweeps.. anyways thanks for the break down, i will try this patch asap!

edit: just gave the patch a go -excellent analog SD- haven't been able to A/B it yet but it sounds very 606ish! congrats on the programming and may i suggest you post this in the main DSi forum ?! hopefully you crack the cymbal section next!!
xanax

Postby Leviathant » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:02 am

xanax wrote:very interesting! i recently purchased a 606 and one thing i noticed immediately was that the snare sound varies subtly on each hit (this becomes very noticeable when applying some long tail reverb at slower tempo). i'm guessing this must be that slow oscillating frequency. i think this is actually the coolest thing about the 606 as it sort of makes the sound alive and not static like sample based drums, one of the charms of analog synthesis. unfortunately i'm not sure if Tempest LFOs could move so slowly? i know P12/P2 have slew rates capable of very slow sweeps

The sweep is in a very low frequency. I think what you're probably hearing is probably just variation in the noise osc the 606 uses. It's not as pronounced as the noise osc in a DR-110's handclap, which when isolated, has an audible bandpass filter modulation (which I emulate in by modulating the pitch of the 4k resonant noise patch).

Opening up my 110 now, I've found the noise source for the 110's snare and there's an LFO (about 4hz) on the noise. Have a listen, these are the sounds I get when shorting out different caps on the 110.

edit: just gave the patch a go -excellent analog SD- haven't been able to A/B it yet but it sounds very 606ish! congrats on the programming and may i suggest you post this in the main DSi forum ?!

Thanks! I'll post it over there eventually...

hopefully you crack the cymbal section next!!

I have a passable analog ride cymbal comprised of single cycle oscillators, loosely based off the DR-110, but I haven't taken a proper stab at accurately emulating the sound. According to the schematics, the metal is made from four square waves and white noise, and the schematics give the frequencies of the oscillators. Might just go and try tuning to those frequencies now, but the schematics warn that they need to be very precisely matched.
Leviathant

Postby Leviathant » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:52 am

So when I put those four frequencies together with Tempest square waves then use some hipass filtering, copied the voice to a second pad, where I changed the second pad to only output white noise, hipassed them both (adding some feedback on the 4osc voice) and this is the result. I think there's a little more going on in a DR-110 than mixing four square waves, white noise, and hipassing it, but I'm not really sure what.

The 606 uses six oscillators and white noise to make their cymbal sounds, and no one's posted the osc frequencies, so this is about as close as I can get by strictly following spec. I got a more passable "metal" sound with three square waves and white noise, which I'll post more info on later.
Leviathant

Postby xanax » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:22 am

sorry i can't listen to those as i don't have a dropbox account but interesting info... can't believe the 606 uses SIX oscillators for it's cymbals section :shock:
xanax

Return to Tempest