Mopho SE

Information and discussion about the Mopho family of synthesizers, including the Mopho, Mopho Keyboard, Mopho SE, and Mopho X4.

Mopho SE

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:12 am

The Mopho SE (Special Edition) is easily the least talked about instrument made by DSI. It still strikes me as a very attractive no-nonsense meat and potatoes analog mono synth. But I wonder about the SE. How "special" is it? In other words, for how long will it be around? Has anybody heard from DSI when this instrument will be discontinued?
Sacred Synthesis

Re: Mopho SE

Postby Razmo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:41 am

I guess it's least talked about because it's essentialy just a Mopho with a larger keyboard/interface... there are so many spinoff products of the Prophet '08 by now, that posting on every one of them would just be posting 90% the same I think.

Prophet 08, Tetra, Mopho Keys, Mopho SE, Mopho X4... the engine is 90% alike... all are polychainable etc.

You could of course make a thread debating the 10% difference :) ... both the obvious and the not so obvious differences.
Razmo

Postby chysn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:52 pm

I always figured it's because there are really no OS problems in the Mopho line worth speaking of. I mean... apparently there's some instability of incoming breath controller data, but for the most part the OS is solid, and there's not much to complain about.

If the SE had been available when I bought my Mopho Keyboard, I'd easily have gone with the SE instead; but my long game involves maybe getting an X4 some day.
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:25 pm

All true, but I would add that having the SE's additional octave over the original Mopho Keyboard makes all the difference in the world to some of us. Anyway, my question was, has anyone heard of the SE's discontinuation? I could send DSI an email, by I doubt they would reveal that information.

By the way, I'm very happy to see that folks are still using this forum, even though the other one is again active.
Last edited by Sacred Synthesis on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby Benzebub » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:30 pm

I have noticed that the original Mopho Keyboard is getting rare on some shops. Thomann for instance have been out of stock of them for quite extended periods. This is mere speculation based a small sample but could be the other way around, that they want to replace it with the SE instead.
Hopefully the trend of small keyboards is over and we are back to larger keyboards again.
Benzebub

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:37 pm

That would make sense to me, but it wouldn't explain the "SE" in the name. It seems as if the SE was the one intended to be discontinued, rather than the original Mopho Keyboard. But I hope it's as you suggest - that the longer keyboards prevail. There are already so many little inexpensive two-octave synths, so that DSI need not contribute their own.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby chysn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:01 pm

I always thought that the original Mopho Keyboard would give way to the SE. First off, it probably costs less to make the SE, since it uses the same keybed and chassis as the X4. Second, nobody complains about how the Mopho sounds. The only things anybody complains about are the color and the keyboard length, both of which are addressed by the SE. Since the SE was announced, it's always made sense to me that the SE would be the Mopho Keyboard.
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:58 pm

chysn wrote:The only things anybody complains about are the color....

Chysn, I just don't know who would have the nerve to complain about the color. Sheeese, some people. :)

I guess my impression has been that "Special Edition" suggests temporary edition.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby Benzebub » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:49 am

chysn wrote:The only things anybody complains about are the color and the keyboard length, both of which are addressed by the SE. Since the SE was announced, it's always made sense to me that the SE would be the Mopho Keyboard.

I think it looks quite charming to be honest. It certainly has character. :)
Benzebub

Postby Razmo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:18 am

I really don't care about the color of a synth... if I did, I'd not be having loads of Waldorf gear :lol:

It's the sound that matters.... the Keyboard length is another matter though... small is fine for monophonic bass synths, but unusable as for just about anything else with a broad pitch range to the playing. I would not go for less than 4 octaves... 3 and a half like on the Pro 2 is a bit crippling, and I don't understand why they went for that half octave, instead of a full 4 octave like both the SE and X4
Razmo

Postby Fuseball » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:10 am

I thought the SE and X4 were only three and a half octaves too. It was certainly a factor against buying an X4 for me. Anything poly has to be at least four octaves to be useful without becoming frustrating.
Fuseball

Postby Razmo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:44 am

Fuseball wrote:I thought the SE and X4 were only three and a half octaves too. It was certainly a factor against buying an X4 for me. Anything poly has to be at least four octaves to be useful without becoming frustrating.

Could be me being wrong about the SE and X4...
Razmo

Postby chysn » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:39 pm

The SE, X4, and Pro2 all have 44 keys (3.5 octaves).

When I sold off my DX7, I worried that I'd miss the 5-octave keyboard. The yellow Mopho Keyboard is the biggest synth I've got now. I think it's very likely that I'll upgrade to an X4 at some point, but when I want to spread out, I've got a nice acoustic piano; so I really don't miss the 5-octave keyboard.

We keyboard players are a bit spoiled when it comes to range. Three to four octaves is pretty common for musical instruments: classical guitar (3 octaves), trumpet (3-ish), alto sax (maybe 3.5), cello (3.5), violin (4, with the top octave being unbearable). Vocal ranges cover about two octaves, less for most of us. Musicians manage to express themselves perfectly well with these instruments and they don't even have octave buttons!
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Pipe organs use several five-octave keyboards, plus the pedals. In addition, the pedal and keyboard stops offer several lower and higher octave stops, plus harmonic stops for tonal coloring. A good-sized pipe organ will provide stops so low that you can barely distinguish the fundamental's frequency on the lower pedals, and stops so high as to be generally inaudible in the upper range of the keyboard.

For my purposes, a polyphonic synthesizer needs to have a five-octave keyboard. A monophonic instrument would ideally have five octaves as well, but four is also excellent. Three-and-a-half octaves is still good, and three is minimally tolerable. Anything less than a full three octaves is out of the question, and a well-placed octave switch cannot compensate.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby Razmo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:15 am

chysn wrote:The SE, X4, and Pro2 all have 44 keys (3.5 octaves).

When I sold off my DX7, I worried that I'd miss the 5-octave keyboard. The yellow Mopho Keyboard is the biggest synth I've got now. I think it's very likely that I'll upgrade to an X4 at some point, but when I want to spread out, I've got a nice acoustic piano; so I really don't miss the 5-octave keyboard.

We keyboard players are a bit spoiled when it comes to range. Three to four octaves is pretty common for musical instruments: classical guitar (3 octaves), trumpet (3-ish), alto sax (maybe 3.5), cello (3.5), violin (4, with the top octave being unbearable). Vocal ranges cover about two octaves, less for most of us. Musicians manage to express themselves perfectly well with these instruments and they don't even have octave buttons!

There is a difference to accoustic instruments and then synths sounds in my opinion... you might be able to do with 3½ octave, but I know for a fact, that I'll be running into situations where I want more range... especialy when playing with two hands, doing both bass and melody at the same time. Synth sounds may be programed to use a much broader range, plus they may use split mode that would greatly improve with a broader range of keys.

On top of that, I often create FX and Percussion sample packs, where I lay out all sounds on the keys... some of these can easily reach more than even 76 sounds, and to have to switch octaves constantly makes it impossible to play in some situations, if the sounds you want to play are both more than the keys range appart.

3½ octave will do it in a pinch, but I'd certainly like at least 61 which seems to be the defacto standard on most keyboard more or less.

It's really hard to go lower, when you're used to 76 keys... that's for sure...
Razmo

Return to Mopho