Can Evolvers really talk?

Can Evolvers really talk?

Postby Razmo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:36 am

(crosspost from old forum)

Yes... they can, if you prepare some formant user waveshapes :wink:

I created a whole "alphabet" with formants as Evolver waveshapes, so that you can get robotic timbres and phrases out of the Evolver. They were made to sound robotic, and deep in pitch, so they sound best played in the lower region of the keyoard, but I'm planning to do one or two more for higher pitches as well.

Actualy you can make Evolver say small words, if you use a sequencer with the waveshape parameter. Unfortunately the sequencers will only take values up to 100, so you can only use the first 5 user waveshapes for this (as they start at values 96 and up), which means that you will have to copy the needed formants into the first 5 user waveshapes to do it. Also, you can only sequence words that use no more than 5 formant timbres, and it can be a bit tricky to make plosive sounds etc... but it's relatively doable, and certainly has a special character.

You can hear a demo of my Evolver talking to DSI here:

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/EvolverTalk.mp3

(it's saying: I am Evolver robot talking to you. Fix my MIDI bugs!) :mrgreen:

Attached to this post you will find a .rar file with the formant waveshapes. They are included in both single .syx files with each individual waveshape, and a "Formants_All" .syx file that has them all in one for easier dump.

The waveshape locations are from memory slot 96 and up to 125... there are 30 waveshapes, so only the two last ones in memory are free if you upload them all. The memory locations are hardcoded into the .syx string, so if you want to allocate them in different waveshape slots, you'll have to use some kind of software that will allow for this.

The formant waveshapes are arranged like this:

memory location / Formant:

096/Formant A
097/Formant AA
098/Formant AE
099/Formant AH
100/Formant AO
101/Formant B
102/Formant D
103/Formant E
104/Formant EH
105/Formant ER
106/Formant F
107/Formant G
108/Formant I
109/Formant IH
110/Formant IY
111/Formant J
112/Formant K
113/Formant L
114/Formant M
115/Formant N
116/Formant O
117/Formant P
118/Formant R
119/Formant S
120/Formant T
121/Formant U
122/Formant UH
123/Formant UW
124/Formant V
125/Formant Z

Remember that this is only waveshapes, and not programs... you'll have to be creative and make your own programs using these formant waveshapes :wink:

Evolver_Formant_Waveshapes.rar
(17.58 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Razmo

Re: Can Evolvers really talk?

Postby Razmo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:23 am

Here is a little demo of a program I made using two of the formant waves:

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/SpaceMonks.mp3

There is a bit of noise in the demo, but that's not the Evolver... I had some noisy analog effects on in the background which is the cause of that.

Also... a huge ambient reverb has been added.
Razmo

Postby chysn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:22 am

This is amazing. How did you generate the formant waveforms?
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Postby namnibor » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:40 am

Love it! Awesome reverb and ambience as well! Just my kind of sounds!
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby Razmo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:36 am

@Chysn:

I made the formant waveforms with two simple things... a Waldorf Pulse and the FX of my E-MU 1616m (1212m can do it as well).

The E-MU has a vocal formant effect that will oscillate between two phonemes, and it has settings for all these formants, so all I have to do is run a sawtooth (Waldorf Pulse in this case) thru this FX oscillating between the same two phonemes and sample it...

after that, all there is to do is edit the single cycle waves out independently from each sample, and throw it thru your converter program. :)

@Namnibor:

Glad you like the sound... this is my style of sound as well, and I'll be doing more pad sounds with these formant waveshapes... actualy it's quite easy to make a lot of these with 30 formants... you could make many types of the same patch by just changing the formant waveforms used in the same program.

The problem is that to release these sounds to the public, those who want to use it would have to also dump the waveshape bank to use them, and if they are allready using these user slots, then they will have to keep dumping different waveshapes back and forth to use both their current programs and mine... but maybe most have not even used the user waveshapes yet since they are complicated to make waveshapes for... but Chysn's web-app may change this.

I'm glad I use SoundDiver with it's library function for my Evolver... I made the editor so that it automaticaly extract the two used waveshapes and stores them with the program in a library, and automaticaly dump them back to the correct waveshape locations with the program, when browsing programs in the library... so I personaly do not have to think about waveshape memory slots and having enough of them... I can make as many Evolver programs I want, with user waveshapes and store everything in a library... nice and easy. :)
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Just finished the new formant bank of 30 waveshapes that has a higher pitch than the first ... it's time for Space Nuns! :mrgreen:

Here is a demo showcasing the exact same program as before... only the two waveshapes was changed to the newer high-pitched ones... instant nuns! :lol:

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/SpaceNuns.mp3

I'm not sure I'd need a bank more that is an octave higher... these last formants seem to take the pitch well from tenor to soprano pitches.
Razmo

Postby namnibor » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:03 am

Nice sounds! In the spirit of Halloween approaching in coming month, how about your interpretation of "Space Zombie Nuns" with those waves with added ambience to taste? :shock: :P
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby Razmo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Allright... I'm finished making the formant waveforms.

I've made three different pitches; low, middle and high versions.

Each play best (least chipmunky) in a certain octave, so experiment with the key ranges.

The file is organized differently than the first one I released. There is no "waveshape bank" file anymore, only single waveshape .syx files. All goes to waveshape slot number 128 which may not be the most practical as they will overwrite each other... you'll need some kind of editor to work with these, so that you may copy them to different memory locations.

The problem is, that if I make one big .syx, they'd overwrite practicaly all user waveshapes, and you may not need all of them... so no matter what hardcoded version I put them in, someone will likely want to make changes to them anyway.There are 90 waveforms in all, so you would not be able to load all of them at one time anyway. It's much more likely that some of them will be mergeed into a full bank specificaly chosen for a bank of programs in most cases, so it makes no sense to make three banks of 30 user waveshapes really.

Actualy, now that Chysn's web app to convert .wav files into .syx files for Evolver is a reality, I think it's easier to simply give you the original .wav files instead, and then you can convert those you need yourself using the web app.

Thus, the .rar file include all the .wav files in addition to single .syx files.... I'd say, that the .syx files is only really useful for quick listening if you set up a program to use user waveshape 128... then you could easily hear the waveforms by sending the .syx file you want to hear to the Evolver directly.... just remember that you won't hear a change in the sound unless you flip the preset... Evolver does NOT automaticaly update the user waveshape in use just because it recieves a dump to the same location that the current program uses... you have to make a preset change to load it into the current memory.

Evolver_Formant_Waveshapes.rar
(17.58 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

if you have any questions, just ask.
Razmo

Return to Tips & Tricks - Evolver