Soundtower software- computer guys help!

Information and discussion about the Evolver family of instruments, including the Desktop Evolver, the Poly Evolver rack and keyboard, and the Mono Evolver Keyboard.

Soundtower software- computer guys help!

Postby Soundquest2 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:40 pm

I've been using the soundtower editor for PEK for a few years with no issues. Recently I had to replace my midi/usb interface since I broke my old one. I got the same brand. Slightly different model. Hosa Technologies USM-422.

This works fine for my PO8. But I'm thinking this might a cause for my recent issue when I use it on PEK:

I'm able to twist knobs on the PEK and see them turn on my computer (soundtower editor). However I cannot turn the knobs on the editor and have them actually control the instrument. Also, I cannot open or save patches from my computer. I tried every midi setting in software (under midi settings) but cant get this to work. Now all my patches are held hostage on my computer.

DO you think this might just be the case of a cable that works for PO8, but not for the PEK? Or is this like some kinda computer issue?
Soundquest2

Re: Soundtower software- computer guys help!

Postby snowcrash » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:26 pm

Cheaper MIDI interfaces often have problems with longer sysex srings. It might be, there's some differences in the Evolver/P08 Sysex format that causes the PEK dumps to fail on the USM-422.

Do a Google search on your interface name and "sysex problem", several threads and comments show up. I guess you'll have to find something that has been approved to work well with sysex.

But don't worry, there are alternatives: for me a similar cheap cable has worked fine with the PEK's sysex: the CME U2 MIDI To USB Cable.
Poly Evolver Keyboard, Desktop Evolver, Minimoog Voyager OS, Micromoog, Roland SH101, KORG MS20 Mini, Arturia Minibrute/Microbrute, Elektron A4, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg ESX/EMX, Roland RS-09, Hohner String Melody II, Yamaha AN1x and a couple more. If you have questions about those synths feel free to ask me in a new thread.
snowcrash

Postby Soundquest2 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks for the good info Snowcrash! I'll try another cable, as you mentioned, and let you know how it goes.
Soundquest2

Postby Razmo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:52 am

Problems with long sysex messages on windows PC's is not due to the MIDI interface itself, but because many cheaper MIDI interfaces use the standard MS MIDI USB drivers... the MS drivers has a limit of 256 bytes sysex strings, so any message longer than this will likely screw up. Most dump messages from DSI are more than 256 bytes, but simple parameter change messages are not and should work.

If you're on windows, the best thing you can do is get a USB MIDI interface that has custom build drivers because these can normaly have sysex strings larger than 256 bytes.
Razmo

Postby Soundquest2 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Thanks razmo,

Interesting, I have a cable unit coming to me that is supposed to have a "driver you install". I'l let you know how it goes.
Soundquest2

Postby Soundquest2 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:52 pm

I ended up with a Roland interface (i think its model MK2). ~ $40.00, This comes with a CD that you install a driver. This interface works great for the PEK.

Thanks for your help computer guys :)
Soundquest2

Return to Evolver