WAV 2 Evolver

Information and discussion about the Evolver family of instruments, including the Desktop Evolver, the Poly Evolver rack and keyboard, and the Mono Evolver Keyboard.

Re: WAV 2 Evolver

Postby Razmo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:55 am

Everything's fine... I don't know what I did wrong the first time, but it has converted everything fine the second time I tried it out.
Razmo

Postby chysn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:49 pm

OK. Again, I really appreciate the feedback. Let me know if anything else seems awry.

It's possible that A.wav isn't what you thought it is. When I open it in Audacity, it looks like this:

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 8.49.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 8.49.47 AM.png (21.35 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Razmo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:22 pm

chysn wrote:OK. Again, I really appreciate the feedback. Let me know if anything else seems awry.

It's possible that A.wav isn't what you thought it is. When I open it in Audacity, it looks like this:

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 8.49.47 AM.png

I mixed up some waveshapes, that's why I got confused :) ... the display you've posted is exactly what it should be... that's how my "A" formant looks in SoundDiver when I checked it again... I think I mixed up the order of the individual .syx files before I imported them into my SoundDiver editor.

I use a few different programs for this... I edit the samples with Sound Forge, and the resultant single cycle .wav files is then converted to .syx with your web app... after that, i use a file merging program to merge all .syx files (30) together into one .syx file, which I load into SoundDiver... SoundDiver can read more than one sysex header in a file, so this is the fastest for me, instead of reading in every single .syx formant one by one.

I think I screwed up the sorting order in the file merging program somehow, and thus had the individual formant waveshapes renamed wrongly in SoundDiver after that.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but it worked the second time around, so there is nothing wrong with your app ;)

If I find any problems I'll let you know...

one thing though... the field on your web app, showing what file you've chosen seems a bit small... could it be made longer, so that I can see the whole path of the file I've chosen? ... just a minor thing... can live without.
Razmo

Postby chysn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:04 pm

Razmo wrote:one thing though... the field on your web app, showing what file you've chosen seems a bit small... could it be made longer, so that I can see the whole path of the file I've chosen? ... just a minor thing... can live without.

Sure, reload the screen, and it should be wider (as well as formatted a little bit).

Do you use Intel-based OSX?
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Razmo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:46 pm

chysn wrote:
Razmo wrote:one thing though... the field on your web app, showing what file you've chosen seems a bit small... could it be made longer, so that I can see the whole path of the file I've chosen? ... just a minor thing... can live without.

Sure, reload the screen, and it should be wider (as well as formatted a little bit).

Do you use Intel-based OSX?

Nope... I'm on Windows7 and IE :)
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:31 pm

Another idear for your web app Chysn:

I realised today, that the hardcoded memory slot in a .syx Evolver waveshape file is not practical in all situations, especialy if some users will want to use other slot numbers for some of the waves.

So in essence, it's better to make available the .wav file with the single cycle so that others can do the conversion themselves using your web app, and decide where they want them in memory.

But the .wav files I've got is not properly sized, as this is what your web app does automaticaly, so users who does not use your app, but other apps to make the .syx file cannot use the .wav files I've got.

So I was wondering if it would not be a good idear, to be able to save the converted .wav file not only as Evolver .syx, but also have the choice of saving it back as a .wav file? ... this way it would be easy to prepare .wav packs of "ready to load" single cycles, that can be loaded into other editor programs that do not time-stretch the .wav file, or used for entirely different wavetable synthesizers.
Razmo

Postby chysn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:28 pm

Yeah, that's a good idea. Evolver PCM is exactly like WAV PCM, so it should be pretty easy. I need to modify my PCM processing library to be able to create WAV files, but that won't be too tricky.
chysn
Site Admin

Postby chysn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:42 pm

I might not get to the WAV writer this week. In the mean time, I've added a "Download Raw PCM" option, which will hopefully do the job until I can get to the WAV thing. Just import it into SoundForge, and explain to SoundForge that this is a signed 16-bit, little-endian, single-channel PCM file.
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Razmo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:18 pm

OK, thanks :)
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm not sure what's happening... but I keep getting conversions that have wrong data bytes.

I've attached a .wav file that I keep getting bad data with to this post.

I've tried saving it both with and without metadata, but get the same result every time.

Most of the converted data seems to be right, but there seems to be two samples in the beginning that does not belong there, and it's like if the whole cycle is moved two samples back because of these two samples in the beginning.

Also, some more bytes into the data, a single or a few samples seems to be wrong.

The picture below shows the waveform as it looks in Sound Forge in the top, and the converted .syx in the bottom display.

wave.jpg
wave.jpg (202.76 KiB) Viewed 3543 times

A.wav
(312 Bytes) Downloaded 103 times
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:21 pm

And a small request if possible:

Could it be possible to have a loaded .wav file, and it's converted counterpart displayed on the screen of the web app?

It's a bit tiresome to convert 30 waveshapes so many times, only to see that they have been wrongly converted when finaly loading them into my editor... it would probably also be handy for yourself, when you need to track bugs in the conversion I guess.
Razmo

Postby chysn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 am

Razmo wrote:I'm not sure what's happening... but I keep getting conversions that have wrong data bytes.

Thanks for sending the trouble file. I'll take a look at it in a few minutes.

Could it be possible to have a loaded .wav file, and it's converted counterpart displayed on the screen of the web app?

Actually, I already planned on doing that. Now that the thing is on DSI's website, I feel the need to sparkle up the interface a bit.
chysn
Site Admin

Postby chysn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:20 am

OK, I believe I've corrected the source of the error. Please give it another try.
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Razmo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:52 am

chysn wrote:OK, I believe I've corrected the source of the error. Please give it another try.

Thanks!... I'll check it out later today :)
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:14 am

Here is the promised .wav files:

BEARCYCL.WAV
(760 Bytes) Downloaded 74 times

BEARCYC2.WAV
(760 Bytes) Downloaded 74 times

Both files have been created directly within Audio-Term, and saved from that program as a 256 sample single cycle .wav file. As it has been generated within Audio-Term, the second half of the .wav file has already been mirrored and flipped, but you should be able to see that clearly.

Saved files from Audio-Term has loop set to on... just so that you know that in advance. I decided to give you the direct files from Audio-Term without changing anything (metadata, loops etc.) because this is the files I myself would be using to create the single cycle .wav files because it automaticaly resynthesize the waveform and mirror/flip it... if your web app can convert these files correctly in Microwave .syx I'd not have any need to enter SoundForge to do further editing, and that would save me time.
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:38 am

I notice that the web app now saves a "partial" file as well as the .syx ... what is that for?
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 am

I've tried the newly converted .syx from your web page, including renaming that "partial" file to a .syx file ... both contain the same data, and the problem is not gone I'm afraid... still two samples at the beginning that does not belong there, and some errors a bit in the data... it looks exactly like on the picture I posted last time, nothing has changed.
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:51 am

To be certain it's not my editor that is doing the wrong thing, I sent the converted .syx directly to the Evolver, and then let my editor request it and recieve a dump... still the same problem, so I don't think it's my editor doing this
Razmo

Postby Razmo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:15 am

I can tell you, that the problem must be in the conversion into Evolver .syx because if I save a converted file as both .syx and .raw, then the .syx has errors all the time no matter what waveform I choose, but the .raw file does not.

I loaded the converted .raw file into Sound Forge, and it looks exactly as it should, and takes up 128 samples.
Razmo

Postby chysn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 am

Razmo wrote:I can tell you, that the problem must be in the conversion into Evolver .syx because if I save a converted file as both .syx and .raw, then the .syx has errors all the time no matter what waveform I choose, but the .raw file does not.

I loaded the converted .raw file into Sound Forge, and it looks exactly as it should, and takes up 128 samples.

Damn it all. I fixed the problem and recompiled wav2raw, but I forgot to recompile wav2evolver. Sorry, should be fine now.
chysn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Evolver