Old DSI forum

Topics about this forum, including requests, complaints, etc.

Re: Old DSI forum

Postby Razmo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:03 pm

Fuseball wrote:I think an integral part of the lifeblood of the old forum was the release of beta OS updates. Without those the wait for bugs to be fixed would have been interminable. I would certainly have given up on the Tetra without them and the first P12 OS was full of bugs.

I think we will see a cessation of communication from Chris and Carson on these forums. That saddens me and if it sees an end to public OS betas then it will be an even greater loss.

It's interesting that GS appears to be full of people who love their P12s and Pro2s. There's very little criticism of either synth on there.

If DSI will build a wall around themselves in the future, we'll just have to wait and see... but as I allready speculated, I don't think it'll do them any good... not unless they either improve their maintennace policies, or their quality control before releasing a product.

Another thing is, that by actualy intermingling with the users, DSI can also get control that they would not if they keep to themselves. The communication that goes on in the forum is varied, and they can stop false information, explain bugs and behaviors... they can also give the users a comforting knowledge that they're working on fixes etc... they have the power to make it a nice environment to be in if they want to... they can also do the opposite of course, but their ability to mingle should be a great tool for damage control.

But if they don't take care, that level of control can also backfire... if they keep on being so arrogant and ignorant to people's problems with their products, then the outcome of that damage control will be very different, and probably worse than if they did not mingle at all. and that's unfortunately the road I feel DSI is heading down at the moment.
Last edited by Razmo on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Razmo

Postby namnibor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:45 am

I like to read and learn from the older posts when it sure seemed like their were less snappy people acting like juveniles, as I see a lot now. Maybe everyone needs a vacation. Thing of relevance is fact some of the user names notoriously disrupters have same and even at times worse behavior on other notable forums. Is it just me or is there kind of a GS type of movement in the bowels of old DSI forum? :oops: :P :shock: Even yesterday's posts from DSI on Pro 2 is borderline snappy/snarky.
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby dslsynth » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:42 pm

@namnibor: Yeah its certainly a two sides monster this current "climate issue". In the end its all about self moderation and wanting the best for all of the community on both sides of the fence!
dslsynth

Postby Soundquest2 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Active members here...is everyone back on the old forum? I haven't checked since it went down this summer. Not much traffic here from the old crowd it seems.
Soundquest2

Postby dslsynth » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:53 pm

More or less I think most people are active on the old DSI forum. But it does down on a regular basis so its nice to have a second place to discuss things (here!). I have not been posting much recently so that could be another reason for the quietness I'll guess.
dslsynth

Postby chysn » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:14 am

Soundquest2 wrote:Active members here...is everyone back on the old forum? I haven't checked since it went down this summer. Not much traffic here from the old crowd it seems.

Yeah, pretty much. I plan to keep this forum up for the foreseeable future, just in case the other one totally crashes and burns. I'm planning on keeping the beta OSes up to date by grabbing them from the other forum, for the same reason. And then there's the WAV2Evolver thing that the DSI site links to, so I need to keep that up.
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Postby dslsynth » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Guess what!? . o O ( what else is new )
dslsynth

Postby Soundquest2 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:44 pm

OK, We'll that's probably a good Idea to keep this as a backup for a while. I suppose I'll need to check in there once in a while too.
Soundquest2

Postby namnibor » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:58 pm

FYI--the "other forum" is down yet again! Maybe DSI is possibly posting some O.S. updates to the Pro 2 to actually make the sequencer "...quite possibly the most powerful sequencer *ever* placed on a synth..." :lol: :P Silly me, more apt to see those updates posted on gearslutz these days than the unofficial DSI Forum! :P :shock:
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby dslsynth » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Yeah you know its just absent landlord syndrome over there! And wow does DSI post OS updates on gearslutz?
dslsynth

Postby namnibor » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:08 pm

I admit I perhaps was being a bit 'flippant' with stating that...however, I have noticed WAY more DSI presence over there than their unofficial forum and reason I stated this is the very fact that at least 4 months have gone by without ANY updates that are sorely needed to make the Pro 2 Sequencer user friendly and actually as versatile as DSI claim it to be.
THAT is the very reason I had asked so many questions when the Pro 2 was first released specific to the sequencer integration and such...now...MANY people are scratching their heads and see the quite limited state the Pro 2 sequencer actually is in-use, especially if one wants to PLAY the Pro 2 while sequencing external gear.

Not making a "swan song" about it though, it just proves it's best to sit back and watch and wait whenever a new DSI instrument is released. I am actually thinking that since the P6 is actually more "basic" and perhaps by that, considered "limited" by some, that upon P6's release it "should" be in a completely polished/finished state....but for now I am quite happy with my set-up and rotating different gear out of accumulated synths since 1982...and am actually going to get my old, living in a road case, SCI Prophet 600 repaired this Summer by Wine Country Productions, Inc., whom have been servicing SCI instruments since not too long after SCI's bankruptcy...there's even a brand new processor to replace original one and adds plethora of improvements and capabilities.
In case you are wondering, YES, I think the new Prophet 6 has MUCH MORE in common with the SCI Prophet 600 with a dash of Prophet 5, than really a reference to the P5. I could be wrong, but that's my belief until proven otherwise.
Speaking of hardware sequencers, have you heard of this?: http://www.squarp.net/
namnibor

Postby dslsynth » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Well I think that we all know DSI strongest side - their designs with Dave being a really great design artist - and their weakest side - software maintenance - and what people says all the time really just confirms my view of the situation. Which is sad as DSI have so much potential to be a way much better brand had they just their software quality under control as well. And Chris, if you read this, its not a hint to you but exclusively to the person deciding what the company's resources are used for!

Sounds great with your Prophet 600 repair plans. Hope you will like the updated instrument. As for Sequential Prophet-6 challenges its quite likely it will be the newly developed digital control of the newly designed VCO's if any. Or perhaps the details of the new effects. Still its a great sounding instrument concept and I look forward to hear what DSI/Sequential will use these ingredients for in upcoming designs. Hope to feel really temped one of these years (should I actually be able to afford one of their products).

Did not take a look at the hardware sequencer yet.
dslsynth

Postby Paul Dither » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:14 pm

namnibor wrote:I admit I perhaps was being a bit 'flippant' with stating that...however, I have noticed WAY more DSI presence over there than their unofficial forum and reason I stated this is the very fact that at least 4 months have gone by without ANY updates that are sorely needed to make the Pro 2 Sequencer user friendly and actually as versatile as DSI claim it to be.
THAT is the very reason I had asked so many questions when the Pro 2 was first released specific to the sequencer integration and such...now...MANY people are scratching their heads and see the quite limited state the Pro 2 sequencer actually is in-use, especially if one wants to PLAY the Pro 2 while sequencing external gear.

It's apparently on their radar. Carson just stated that about a month ago. It would look really bad if they don't stick to that. Point is also, this time even people like Gordon Reid (Sound on Sound) pointed out some weaknesses with regard to the sequencer. So they have that little extra public criticism to work with.

One thing to remember:
Moog took about a year (from the Sub 37's first announcement) to revise, or rather exhance the Sub 37's sequencer and other functions. They released a couple of minor udpates in between, but the real deal will be released around the end of this month I believe.

If DSI's next Pro 2 update is going to improve its sequencer functionality significantly, they should also announce it accordingly. I mean, for Moog it was worth a NAMM presentation - rightly so, I'd say. Significant OS updates should get the same attention as a new product announcement.
Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/prophet-08-patches
Paul Dither

Previous

Return to Meta Forum