No Affiliation

Topics about this forum, including requests, complaints, etc.

Re: No Affiliation

Postby dslsynth » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Razmo wrote:It's my cat Zeus... he's good with synths and mice, keeping the later out of my old Eminent 310 Unique 8-)

Cute cat! Is he a good DJ too? . o O ( scratching )
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:53 pm

dslsynth wrote:Running a good stable forum is a multi person effort.

If you remember, even back then we had discussed the need for several moderators to help with the work load. I believe folks had voted for you and CowboyInc.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby BobTheDog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Sacred Synthesis wrote:I've seen a lot of vile behavior and language on GS, but I've also seen it on Vintage Synth Explorer, Electro-Music, and elsewhere. It tends to completely turn me off the whole forum universe, so that I avoid it all for refreshing periods of time. But then something like the Pro 2 is released and curiosity has me researching and eventually posting again. I have deliberately cut way back on how much I post, though.

I would hardly put electro-music in the same league as GearSlutz!

I was the moderator that tried to work out what upset you there years ago, I don't think you ever fully explained your issue with the forum?
BobTheDog

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:01 pm

I'm not so sure about that. It was so filthy that I wanted to disassociate myself from posting on that forum, and I'm glad I did. I wouldn't have asked you to eliminate my membership without reason, since I obviously enjoy this posting business quite a bit. But I prefer to stay on the topic of music and instruments, rather than digress into trash talk. Sorry, but for me it's a complete turn off. Not for others, I realize.

This does bring up one annoying aspect of these forums, and that's the inability of a person to delete their own membership. It certainly should be possible.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:34 am

I have to disagree wholeheartedly, I cannot believe anyone would call that forum filthy!

Different strokes I guess.
BobTheDog

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:09 am

Razmo wrote:Well... the ranter (me) has joined the forum...

And with a more appealing avatar, the other one used to freak me out!
BobTheDog

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:06 pm

BobTheDog wrote:I have to disagree wholeheartedly, I cannot believe anyone would call that forum filthy!

I didn't call the whole Electro-Music forum filthy - not at all. Nor did I borrow another poster's description of GS as "rude and vile." My point was that you can find such things on many forums, including the others I mentioned, and not just on GS. In general, EM is a decent forum and I've been following it a bit the last month or so. I would certainly recommend it to others. My objection came down only to a few persons, but they did spoil what was an otherwise innocent enjoyment. Perhaps they're gone from the forum now, or gave up the smut talk. With all the forums available these days, there's no need to have to look at that stuff. So, I came here and have no complaints.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Sacred Synthesis wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:I have to disagree wholeheartedly, I cannot believe anyone would call that forum filthy!

I didn't call the whole Electro-Music forum filthy - not at all. Nor did I borrow another poster's description of GS as "rude and vile." My point was that you can find such things on many forums, including the others I mentioned, and not just on GS. In general, EM is a decent forum and I've been following it a bit the last month or so. I would certainly recommend it to others. My objection came down only to a few persons, but they did spoil what was an otherwise innocent enjoyment. Perhaps they're gone from the forum now, or gave up the smut talk. With all the forums available these days, there's no need to have to look at that stuff. So, I came here and have no complaints.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood you. I became a bit defensive as I know quite a few of the Guys on there and they are very reasonable and nice people. Basically too nice as they believe in free speech and not banning posters, this is the main reason I stopped being a moderator there as I got fed up with the bullying from a couple of posters.

Even the 'old' DSI forum had problems though, the Tempest sub-forum was toxic.

One of the issues with forums is that some people act in a way that they just wouldn't if they were face to face with people, if they did act that way they would get in serious trouble.
BobTheDog

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:40 pm

That's okay; I don't blame you for being a bit defensive. The truth is (as Namnibor was saying), Electro-Music is excellent. It was the first synthesizer forum I found, and I really liked it. I still do. And yes, the old Tempest forum was quite colorful! Some times the Tetra forum as well. I'll say, on another popular synthesizer forum I was sent several disgusting PM's that would have made a hardened GS-er blush. I forwarded them to the moderator, who was also shocked. Some people really get off on this sort of thing. It's the Internet universe, with all sorts of sickos and pervs crawling around. It does spoil what is normally a very enjoyable time.
Last edited by Sacred Synthesis on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:04 pm

That is exactly why being both a moderator and a member of the community being moderated can quite easily turn into break dance in a mine field. When things gets hot the moderator gets all the flak. Its a job that does require a certain minimum of skin thickness to handle well. At least that is the experience I got from being member of various net communities over time.
dslsynth

Postby snowcrash » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:09 am

Damn, I don't even remember my username right. It's me snowcrash. ;) Pls delete the other one to avoid confusion. :oops:
Poly Evolver Keyboard, Desktop Evolver, Minimoog Voyager OS, Micromoog, Roland SH101, KORG MS20 Mini, Arturia Minibrute/Microbrute, Elektron A4, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg ESX/EMX, Roland RS-09, Hohner String Melody II, Yamaha AN1x and a couple more. If you have questions about those synths feel free to ask me in a new thread.
snowcrash

Postby chysn » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:17 am

Welcome, snowcrash, glad you found us! I removed the other account per your request.
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Postby dslsynth » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:19 am

Its good to see^H^H^H read you in here, snowcrash! :-)
dslsynth

Postby snowcrash » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks, really missed you guys, especially since the Pro 2 is out now. :D
Poly Evolver Keyboard, Desktop Evolver, Minimoog Voyager OS, Micromoog, Roland SH101, KORG MS20 Mini, Arturia Minibrute/Microbrute, Elektron A4, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg ESX/EMX, Roland RS-09, Hohner String Melody II, Yamaha AN1x and a couple more. If you have questions about those synths feel free to ask me in a new thread.
snowcrash

Postby Razmo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:42 pm

snowcrash wrote:Thanks, really missed you guys, especially since the Pro 2 is out now. :D

Aggree... the forum crashed, and then came the Pro 2... almost made me start on conspiracy theories because of that :lol: ... really annoying when you want to talk about the new DSI family member :)
Razmo

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Oh, I came across many conspiracy theorists while poking around online. Suspicion is high. You would think Dave Smith was taking over the United Nations and the European Union, but first had to shut down the DSI/Prophet Forum in order to do so. :lol:
Sacred Synthesis

Postby snowcrash » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:59 am

What I like most about this new forum is, that it uses sane settings for posting times etc... on the old board you couldn't edit or post within a very long timeframe. It was so annoying it had a bad influence on the overall tone of the board. Also the board-software was dated.
snowcrash

Postby dslsynth » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:14 pm

The old board software was actually updated to a more modern version some time ago. And that did indeed improve the looks and features. But the system management are still of the same type and data base errors are not quite handled in a timely manner as some of us may have noticed. Too bad given how much valuable information it have and how good a community it is.
dslsynth

Postby Strange Quark Star » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Aaaand I found this lifeboat, too, at last.

I really missed that unique old forum and its exceptional community. Reading GS is so depressing in comparison...
Seeing the Pro 2 released without reading Sacred Synthesis' reaction to it just did not feel right! ;)

Anyway, I'm very glad you took the initiative and created this place for us to come together again. Great to see the old names starting to appear here, too!

It would be quite tragic seeing all the old and often irreplaceable posts fade into oblivion, but here's hoping we can recreate and reassemble the lost knowledge in time, if need be.

At least now we know the forum is in capable hands! Thanks again, chysn :)
Prophet '08 Serial № 01369, potentiometer retrofit
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7 | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Kawai K-5 ATX
--
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/StrangeQuarkStar
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/strange-quark-star
Strange Quark Star

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Ah, Strange Quark Star, my fault. I could have contacted you through your YouTube channel. Sorry, but I would have thought of it eventually. Anyways, welcome back home. We saved a place for you.
Sacred Synthesis

PreviousNext

Return to Meta Forum