No Affiliation

Topics about this forum, including requests, complaints, etc.

Re: No Affiliation

Postby dslsynth » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:37 am

Sacred Synthesis wrote:As for the second unavoidable question, I did see Carson respond to that issue on a forum (which is to say, many are wondering the same thing). He denied that DSI had anything to do with it.

Forum or downtime!? ;-) :ugeek: :mrgreen:
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Carson denied that DSI had anything to do with the DSI/Prophet Forum being shut down.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Good to know, thanks! If only DSI would give the mysterious forum administrator a phone call to ask for the forum to be restored things would be really good again.

But this dsiforum situation clearly shows the weakness of forums: the data is only stored on one server so special care has to be taken to preserve forum data and forum uptime. Apparently not all administrators are up to speed on this delicate art.
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 pm

A couple of years ago, some very important information I had posted there on the Evolvers was lost - a whole thread I had started, in fact. With what other posters had added, it was an invaluable thread. I eventually regained some of the information elsewhere, but not all of it. Since then, I've considered forum information to be exceedingly volatile. If something is important to you, make a hard copy of it. Otherwise, you may never be able to find it online again.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby Bald Eagle » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:47 am

So the new DSI forum is here. I hope others find it.

I don't have any great hopes left for the old one coming back at this point and DSI will not be making an official one anytime soon. On their facebook page all they have been saying is that the forum was not theirs and they are a small company but might think about a forum at some point.
Bald Eagle

Postby chysn » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:16 am

Bald Eagle! Welcome! I'm glad you found us!

I probably won't totally give up hope on the old forum until its domains expire in August. If the forum owner doesn't renew the domains, and they lapse, then it's likely over for good.

What was lost, if it is lost, can't be replaced. My hope is that new DSI owners find their way here and start asking questions and that we refugees can carry on lively conversations meanwhile. If you know anyone from the old forum (via YouTube or SoundCloud accounts, other forums), please invite them aboard. Next week, I'm going to get a proper domain for this forum, if only to show that I'm serious about keeping it afloat.

Edit: If anyone has any domain suggestions, now is the time! Keep it... you know, tasteful.
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Paul Dither » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Good to meet you all in here! I just found a link to this forum by accident today.

Thanks a lot for this rescue operation, chysn! Much appreciated.
Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/prophet-08-patches
Paul Dither

Postby chysn » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:08 pm

Welcome! Happy you could join us! How did you find the forum? Google, or something else?
chysn
Site Admin

Postby dslsynth » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:37 pm

As a general suggestion consider keeping offline copies of the posts you write. Forums are too volatile for really important information unless special care is taken to preserve the information at multiple locations and with administrators that really want to keep the forum running.

As said previously its probably just an extended forum administrator holiday maybe combined with some real life resistance (or a bear). My guess is that the old forum is going to be up and running again in a few weeks at most (unless said bear is the reason).

Nice to see good old names start showing up here.
dslsynth

Postby Fuseball » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Thank you chysn for setting this up. I'd even resorted to registering at Gearslutz for my synth discussion fix. Already this feels more like home.

So frustrating that the old forum folded at just the point that the P12 started to get interesting as we all figured out how best to program it. I sure hope that DSI join us on here. It doesn't feel right being disconnected from them.
Fuseball

Postby Paul Dither » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:03 pm

chysn wrote:Welcome! Happy you could join us! How did you find the forum? Google, or something else?

Nah, in a slutty place... ;)
Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

Paul Dither

Postby dslsynth » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:09 pm

. o O ( :mrgreen: )
dslsynth

Postby chysn » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Fuseball, welcome! Pretty soon the whole band will be back together!
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Poptones, Fuseball, and Bald Eagle, welcome to your new home! It's Sacred Synthesis - formerly The Analog Organist.

It's true that, without the direct connection to DSI, there's something missing here. But I like the fresh start that this forum gives us, especially with our friend, Chysn, as the administrator. If the old forum comes back, I'll probably continue here.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Sacred Synthesis wrote:If the old forum comes back, I'll probably continue here.

For some strange reason the word "stereo" felt relevant here. ;-)
dslsynth

Postby Bald Eagle » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:09 pm

Sacred Synthesis wrote:Poptones, Fuseball, and Bald Eagle, welcome to your new home! It's Sacred Synthesis - formerly The Analog Organist.

It's true that, without the direct connection to DSI, there's something missing here. But I like the fresh start that this forum gives us, especially with our friend, Chysn, as the administrator. If the old forum comes back, I'll probably continue here.

Hi TAO or I should say SS now ... Is there a "Quality Demo" thread somewhere in our future. :twisted:
Bald Eagle

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:39 am

Wise guy.

Well, ahem, as a matter of fact...I'll give it another name this time. How about, "High Quality Musical Demonstrations?"
Sacred Synthesis

Postby cbmd » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:26 am

We're here lurking. Glad to see a new community rising :)
Carson Day
Dave Smith Instruments
cbmd

Postby dslsynth » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:49 am

And nice to see you in here. Will you get some of the others from the same gang in here as well? ;-)
dslsynth

Postby Paul Dither » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Sacred Synthesis wrote:Poptones, Fuseball, and Bald Eagle, welcome to your new home! It's Sacred Synthesis - formerly The Analog Organist.

Hi Sacred Synthesis! It's great to have you back here. I've missed your comments around the time the Pro 2 was announced.

Paul Dither

PreviousNext

Return to Meta Forum