No Affiliation

Topics about this forum, including requests, complaints, etc.

No Affiliation

Postby chysn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:40 am

I suppose I should make this crystal clear. This forum has no association whatsoever with Dave Smith Instruments. I plan to reach out to DSI staff that was involved in the old forum but... who knows?
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Re: No Affiliation

Postby namnibor » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:36 am

...thanks to Analog Organist, I know there must be other survivors under the virtual heap of rubble the DSI Forum left itself currently still in. Has this felt to anyone ELSE like a first-timed documented alien abduction of a forum on internet has just occurred ?? Too much of a wealth of information there and hope not lost.
I used same name from other forum and crazy man with two MEK's and two Waldorf Q's.
Pro 2 definitely has new features that have been missing from the P12 to interest me, but it seems a bit pricey or is it just me? Thanks Chysn for the "lifeboat" and if anything, we will all know how to form a support group from this alien abduction. :shock: :o
Last edited by namnibor on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby chysn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:49 am

Welcome, namnibor!

I think the pricing of the Pro 2 is interesting, and probably appropriate. The CV outs could make it very popular among people who drop thousands of dollars on Eurorack modules. If DSI gets a piece of that action, it will be quite a coup.
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:51 am

Welcome, Namnibor! I switched names from "The Analog Organist" to "Sacred Synthesis." I'm glad you joined.

Yes, I think the Pro 2's price is a bit hefty, too. But it's quite loaded with features. I think it may offer a unique sound, which has me looking very much forward to hearing more demonstrations.

By the way, Chysn, Chris did once mention that DSI might eventually have its own forum.
Last edited by Sacred Synthesis on Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby namnibor » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:57 am

Yes, it will pull me slowly into the Eurorack zone. Did anyone ELSE see in that release video the MODULAR DSI Curtis Filter was behind the Pro 2? Very smart. The Pro 2 sequencer indeed interests me. The Elektron stuff is entirely unintutive for my brain and that looks to work nicely.

Hello Sacred Synthesis and thanks! The DSI Forum was really one very few I spend any time and did not realize until this duration of it going **P*O*O*F** :?

I am no longer affiliated with myself anymore... ;) :P
Just an alien living amongst humanity...we are almost finished, just have a bit more probing to do.
namnibor

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:09 am

Same here. I really don't spend much time on any other forum - just a bit on Vintage Synth Explorer - but that's it. But I'll state the obvious, that the DSI/Prophet Forum has more information on DSI stuff than any other site on the internet. It was already there when the Prophet '08 first appeared, and when the encoder problems first became obvious. I enjoyed re-reading those early posts from time to time; the initial excitement was kind of humorous to see. And the Evolver section was started at my request to the administrator. Oh well, perhaps it will be online again. Then what will we do?!

For those of you who appreciate information on DSI's earlier instruments, there's this site (which is more or less now inactive):
http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultim ... forum&f=23
Last edited by Sacred Synthesis on Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:13 am

Speaking of the old forum, can anyone give a layman's interpretation of this?

"General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table './synthforums/dsi_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists."
Sacred Synthesis

Postby chysn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:04 am

Speaking of the old forum, can anyone give a layman's interpretation of this?

Sure. MySQL is a ubiquitous database for web applications. It stores its data on a hard drive in special files. A table (a term meaning "a set of values") is marked as "crashed" when a header describing the file does not match some data in the file.

This is not a serious problem. A crashed table can typically be recovered in a few seconds with the help of a utility included with MySQL, and there is almost never any data loss after the repair. If somebody actively cared about the DSI forum, it could most likely be on its feet in minutes.

I didn't put this forum in place because I didn't like the old one, nor to compete with the old one. I think it was a good community, with helpful and respectful (yes, above all, respectful) members. I put this forum in place because I think transparency is important. Somebody needs to care that the system is maintained, and the other forum's real maintainer was a total mystery.

If the other forum comes back, great. I don't think such a small community needs to be fragmented. If it does come back, I'll archive its contents and make them available here, just in case it someday goes down for ever.
chysn
Site Admin

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:32 am

I'm shocked that the DSI/Prophet Forum is still down. Perhaps the administrator has made a decision, or perhaps he's sick. But as an active member of it for five or six years now, I've never seen it disabled for anything like this amount of time. There's a tremendous amount of valuable information on it, more than can be found on any other sight.

Over the past three weeks, I've poked around online and discovered a few other synthesizer forums that I hadn't previously followed. Some offered useful information and discussions - such as "Muffwiggler" - but none can compare with the amount of precise information found on the DSI/Prophet Forum. And I would agree with you, Chysn, that our old forum was uniquely respectful and decent.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby namnibor » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:30 am

Yes, I have already needed to search the DSI Forum just yesterday, and reiterated how much of a salvo of information wealth and people's experiences/situations that through analogy, one can learn from other's past efforts. I surely hope it's not lost but this all is indeed odd. Especially when a new product is launched and say that DSI intend on their own official forum, well, it should have had a seamless segue way rather than the broken bridge. Certainly they could 'port' the (old/unofficial) DSI Forum to the new? Three weeks is really even stretching the proposition someone is still on holiday and one would think if on professional tour with music, someone or some system would be watching over that from time to time.
Anyway, I have not checked gearslutz and do not really go there much because of the rude and vile way people seem to have not much respect for each other....the DSI Forum has a much better demeanor that encourages asking of critical thinking questions. I miss it. I do have a life and it's the music that is important in the end.
I DO love a web site I have been more of a lurker/intense reading/learning from called homerecording.com I learned and still learn so many crucial musical as well as technical things and the environment is nice with many sub-forums. Another is http://electro-music.com/ there's a DSI sub forum in these that may not have been as active and could use some new infusion of "The Lifeboat"... but at least are located in very fertile and healthy/informative forums and it may all be 'old hat' to you other more experienced folk, but thought to humbly share my knowledge if not to help just one other wayward DSI Forum alien abduction survivor's therapy group. ;)
namnibor

Postby dslsynth » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:31 pm

Well its all about being more than one person maintaining a forum and making sure its up and running all the time. Not to mention keeping it free of spam or spammers. The current dsiforum.com administrator is probably holding the keys closely to him/herself and that shows in situations like this. But as said before the forum administrator is probably still on holiday or deadline drowned so I would give it some more time. When I signed up it took most of a month before my account was created.

Agree that dsiforum is something really really special community wise. I have heard many nice things about muffwiggler especially for modular stuff. Wonder how a forum.davesmithinstrumens.com would be as DSI would be moderating it more hard as its their official community face to the outside world.

Also, be happy for gearslutz as that is why all the nice people wants a different place to hide in (dsiforum).

:-)
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:42 pm

I've seen a lot of vile behavior and language on GS, but I've also seen it on Vintage Synth Explorer, Electro-Music, and elsewhere. It tends to completely turn me off the whole forum universe, so that I avoid it all for refreshing periods of time. But then something like the Pro 2 is released and curiosity has me researching and eventually posting again. I have deliberately cut way back on how much I post, though.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:44 pm

What is your current impression of Pro2? Going to get one? Or is it yet another oh-wow-but-the-sound machine? ;-)
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:57 pm

I'm optimistic but realistic about the Pro 2. I really like the specs, but the actual sound is what matters most. Which is to say that the other monos are still of interest to me, including the Sub 37 and Odyssey. But others (such as Igor) have me toning down my enthusiasm for both. Well, there has got to be a superb monophonic analog keyboard synthesizer out there some where. Perhaps the best is the Oberhem Two-Voice Pro. Gee, I wish Tom had added a little more keyboard to that instrument. $3,500 is a lot to pay for a mere three octaves.

By the way, poking around the forums these last three weeks, I got a VERY strong sense that Dave Smith, with these problematic bugs and features issues (Tetra/Tempest/Evolvers), has made a lot of people extremely angry. Yikes - the anti-DSI sentiment was rather disturbing and quite burst my happy little DSI bubble.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:17 pm

You should really take a look at the Mutable Instruments Shruthi-1 modules. There is a list of recommended builders on the MI forum. The DIY component kits are quite affordable.

And yes the trouble with Dave Smith and DSI is that Dave loves to create but the customers want existing product maintenance too. Unfortunately Dave have not really shaped his company for maintenance even though Chris has done quite some good work in recent times. Its that repetitive story about more software development resources at DSI.

Interestingly enough DSI have a really good and friendly talkware department. All Dave needs to do now is to up the maintenance game too and good things will eventually happen to DSI customer attitudes towards DSI. Plus the Tempest story have been really expensive for DSI in both development resources and customer goodwill. Or Tetra for that matter. Or the almost a decade old Evolver bugs that still needs to be resolved.

Hope DSI gets the message before customers dump them for good!
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:29 pm

From what I've read, quite a few synthesists have already written off DSI as customer negligent and deceptive in its advertising. And if Dave hasn't gotten the message yet, I can't imagine what it would take to get it through.
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:54 pm

customer negligent and deceptive in its advertising . o O ( lol )

Yeah Dave probably will not see the message before customers stop buying DSI products and hence that his current company design does not work any more. Sad to see and only a very clear message will get through. My impression is that this is how Dave Smith does his work. SCI went down for similar reasons.

But its fairly easy to solve simply by hiring the right people to ensure maintenance of existing products. Not to mention the advantage of extra software development resources when new advanced product features are to be created. Actually I don't believe in hiring a maintainer for their code base. Said person(s) will have to know the existing product code base well to perform any meaningful effort. So a new developer will have to follow Chris and Dave to learn while Chris thereby gets more time for maintenance. Later on they can share the maintenance load better.

Its all about company design and company survival. :ugeek:
dslsynth

Postby namnibor » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:12 pm

Let me just state that until proven otherwise, and no matter how cool the Pro 2 may seem, in my opinion the Mono Evolver Keyboard is currently still the best innovative mono synth out there...perhaps not in production anymore, but am thinking I still like the hybrid analog and digital oscillators, the unique stereo signal path, low pass filter on each side as well as the digital high pass filter. Also like having ALL the Prophet VS Waves available rather than 12 or 13 chosen waves. The Pro 2's dual multi-mode analog filter and it's sequencer are what stand out to me and not really sure $2000. worth of standing out. With Summer Namm, nothing is written in stone and all is in flux with our hard-earned money.

Has anyone speculated the possibility (for whatever reasons) that DSI actually wanted the unofficial DSI Forum to die in order to eliminate perceived bad public relations? I wonder how busy the phones have been at DSI because of no other way to contact?
namnibor

Postby dslsynth » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:36 pm

The trouble with Pro2 and me is partially financial and partly that I really want such a filter setup in each channel. In other words a duophonic synthesizer of Pro2 design with analog oscillators and analog filter feedback added. Nothing new there. But if DSI one day makes a Pro2 module (even without CV) I would be seriously interested. As others have said before the MI Shruthi is just much more value for money and have discrete filters too.

Not sure about DSI not wanting the DSI forum to succeed given how much use the forum is for community building and OS beta tests. From what I have understood from previous Chris postings it seems DSI want their own official forum with complete control over contents as the official forum way to communicate with DSI. Such a forum.davesmithinstruments.com is by no means in conflict with dsiforum.com.
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:26 am

namnibor wrote:Let me just state that until proven otherwise, and no matter how cool the Pro 2 may seem, in my opinion the Mono Evolver Keyboard is currently still the best innovative mono synth out there...perhaps not in production anymore, but am thinking I still like the hybrid analog and digital oscillators, the unique stereo signal path, low pass filter on each side as well as the digital high pass filter. Also like having ALL the Prophet VS Waves available rather than 12 or 13 chosen waves. The Pro 2's dual multi-mode analog filter and it's sequencer are what stand out to me and not really sure $2000. worth of standing out. With Summer Namm, nothing is written in stone and all is in flux with our hard-earned money.

Has anyone speculated the possibility (for whatever reasons) that DSI actually wanted the unofficial DSI Forum to die in order to eliminate perceived bad public relations? I wonder how busy the phones have been at DSI because of no other way to contact?

I completely agree with your opinion of the Mono Evolver Keyboard. Alongside the original ARP Odyssey, it will always be my favorite mono synth.

As for the second unavoidable question, I did see Carson respond to that issue on a forum (which is to say, many are wondering the same thing). He denied that DSI had anything to do with it.
Sacred Synthesis

Next

Return to Meta Forum