Welcome!

Topics about this forum, including requests, complaints, etc.

Welcome!

Postby chysn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:21 am

DSI announced the Pro 2 today. Or maybe it was yesterday. I don't know because (1) I was camping in the wilderness where we had mosquitoes in lieu of internet and (2) My favorite forum on earth has been down with a database crash for a week.

So, this is me, stepping to the plate. I'm hoping that I can build a community as nice as the dsiforum community, and I'm doing to do my best to track down some of the participants and try to publicize this forum so that the rest can find us.

I'm not an experienced forum administrator, but synthesizers in general, and DSI synthesizers in particular, are an important topic for me. So I'm not going to leave any emerging community hanging. The database will get backed up daily along with the rest of my server; if it needs repair, I'll fix it. If it needs to go down for a while, I'll let you know what's up by redirecting to another page. I have some idea of what I'm signing up for, and I'm determined to make it work.

If you have questions, or suggestions, or if I'm screwing stuff up, please let me know. I know that I can't replace years of fantastic information on the other forum, but I hope we can build the knowledge base again over time.

If the other forum does come back up, consider this your lifeboat. You can wander back here when it goes down again, because I think it will.
DSI: Evolver #1431
Other Synths: Moog Little Phatty Stage II (Red), Arturia MicroBrute
Other Hardware: Alesis MMT-8, Korg Volca Beats
DAW: Reaper for OSX through PreSonus AudioBox USB
chysn
Site Admin

Re: Welcome!

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:41 am

Thanks, Chysn, for doing this. I had seriously considered starting a new DSI forum myself, but I'm glad you did it instead! It's probably a good idea to have a fresh start anyway, since DSI has grown and changed so much over the last few years. But we're leaving behind a huge quantity of precious information, especially regarding the Evolvers. This forum starts when all but one Evolver is out of production. They were an extraordinary group of synthesizers, and I doubt they'll be discussed too much here. Ah well, I do like the idea of a fresh start.

- Sacred Synthesis (formerly "The Analog Organist")
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Good idea to start an alternate forum, chysn. My guess is that the old forum will be up again in a couple of days once the anonymous forum administrator returns from vacation. Much like what happened when I signed up for the forum a few years back. All said anonymous forum administrator is doing wrong is not having someone to watch over the forum while on vacations, sleeping, etc.
dslsynth

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:35 pm

It's not unusual for the DSI/Prophet forum to be down for a couple of days, but this time it's for close to two weeks. Plus, I've never before seen this message:

General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table './synthforums/dsi_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

Can anyone explain exactly what this means?
Sacred Synthesis

Postby dslsynth » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Its just a crashed database table that the site administrator have to fix via the MySQL admin interface. I think chysn did describe this another place on this forum. My guess is that its just holiday down time. So not to worry!

PS: Anyone remember this oldie: Who is general failure and why is he messing with my hard drive?". You see the current DSI forum problem is exactly of the same type (but hopefully with backup).
dslsynth

Postby J C Selector » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:14 pm

So there is a chance it will be back?
Jeremy
J C Selector

Postby dslsynth » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:57 pm

J C Selector wrote:So there is a chance it will be back?

I don't know either. But given that its looks like an easily repairable database error it ought to be possible to happen some time in the future. Unless of cause the database is badly damaged and the backups are fading away before anyone takes the time to repair it.

The best solution would be if someone tracked the original forum administrator down and figured out what is happening. And if there is no chance the original administrator is getting the forum up and running again its about time for DSI to step in and make a new forum hosting happen for the original forum. Forum hosting is not all that expensive. The information stored on the original forum certainly is.
dslsynth

Postby Paul Dither » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:44 pm

On Gearslutz someone mentioned that the former forum was run by Steven Jones (from Synthwood). I don't know whether that's true or not though. Maybe someone from the DSI team knows better.
Ableton Live 9 Suite | Ableton Push | DSI Evolver Desktop | DSI Pro 2 | KMI QuNexus | Korg Volca Beats | Moog MF-104M Analog Delay | Moog Minitaur | Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/prophet-08-patches
Paul Dither

Postby Sacred Synthesis » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:51 pm

I've always thought it was Matrixsynth.
Sacred Synthesis

Return to Meta Forum